Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autumn Squidding around The Mount/Tauranga?
Wow!

I have just (about 3 hrs ago!) stumbled onto this site. I love my fishing, both fresh and saltwater, and now it would appear that I am about to start on a new variation to the theme.

I have read with interest - and watched some video links and am dead keen to go out and target a squid or two, over at the Mount.

I have caught a couple of squid in the past while fishing for snapper and even have a couple of 'cheapie' jigs in my tackle bag for when I happen upon them, but having read and seen what I have tonight, I'm wanting to get out there asap and give it a try with a couple of proper jigs.

I must say that all of my encounters with squid have been while out in a boat, mostly around October/November from memory. Would I be wasting my time trying at this time of year? Also I live out towards Omokoroa ( on the Tauranga Harbour) where there are a couple of jetties with lights, but I have never seen any squid there - I am guessing that maybe squid don't venture this far into a harbour? Any thoughts on this anybody?

I just have to get my brownie points back in the black and I will be out there giving it a go - any tips on; where, what, when would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cliff
hi cliff, i have caught a few squid around the mount itself early morning over the weed and rocks also salsbury wharf can hold a few around the pylons, salbury & pilot bay wharfs used to be the go to place at night but there are no lights on them now , i usually catch them after throwing out a squid jig when they attack my gulp bait while fishing, but i am just making up some rigs now of those squid skewers under a float with a 7inch gulp as bait to be floated around the weed 7 rocks, hope to get out this weekend to give it a try ,let me know how you get on
Hi Gulpy

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't think I was going to get a reply for a while. At the moment I am still only talking about it (and trying to accumulate 'BP' - Brownie Points)! From what you say, I guess a decent light set up on the back of the boat, in close to the Mount could be worth while trying.

Let me know how you get/got on - it may be enough to spur me on to doing the deed myself.

I will also let you know how I get on if and when...

Cheers

Cliff
There is nothing like eating fresh squid, the stuff from shops is limp & tastless once it has been frozen,

i did not manage to get out cause of work but this weekend is definitly on the cards, theres not many squid hunters around the mount but they are still getting a few , i hear around the strand at night is doing ok at the moment

I know of few guys who go out hunting down the strand at night over the weekend, but I don't think it's squid they are after!! However I must keep that in mind ("...Darling - I am just going down to the Strand to catch some squid" - sounds like a Tui's advert if I ever did hear one!).

I look forward to hearing how you go - in fact give me a call or text (548-0583 or 027 548-0583) if you don't mind a newbie tagging along and I will try and get along and see how it's done from land, as I have only ever caught the odd one from a boat.

Cheers

Cliff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Squid fishing Tauranga Terry85 0 1,992 29-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Terry85