Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squid in unusual places
Like to hear if anyone has had similar experiences.

We live on the Eastern Shore of Va., love squiding and often travel to New England to catch a few. A couple of weeks ago, a friend told us that a castnetter caught a few in our harbor, 1/4 mile from our house. So of course we had to give it a try. That night, at the boat ramp, we set up a light and started jigging. Didn't take too long before we caught one, then another and another. Only got four small ones but hey squid are squid. Have tried it a few times since and do get a few, very few, but because we are addicted to the game, it satiates, for a short time, if not cures the habit. This keeps us going until the next trip north. 

As far as we know, no one around here has ever fished for squid with jigs.  We urge our fellow squid addicts to try their local bays. Perhaps there are other areas that squid inhabit that are unknown .

Has anyone else caught squid in areas that are totally new to the sport?   

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
I've heard that people used to catch squid right off the hurricane barrier in Providence, crazy right?

I just returned from visiting my sister in Gainesville, FL. We went over to Cedar Key for  lunch and to walk around. They have a very nice fishing pier there and I asked the folks there if anybody caught squid in the area and they all replied that they hadn't nor did they know of anybody having done so. Back at my sister's place I googled up squid fishing in FL and was pleasantly surprised to see that squidding in the winter is alive and well on the gulf coast. From St Petersburg to Panama city at least it seems one can indeed catch them from boats and piers and one guy online said the colder weather the better. I did not see any reports about the east coast but I would think they would be on that side too. The next night I went to a party put on and attended by wildlife biologists from FU (my sister is one) and there were a couple of guys who liked to fish and they told me they had seen them in the water at Cedar Key but had never thought of fishing for them. They asked how it was done, and  though I didn't take any gear with me I explained it as best I could. So, I think that like some other places I have been that although locals don't fish for them or even know they are there that Mr. Squiggly can be caught in many more places that others may suspect. If any of you are headed down there for vacation, I suggest you bring your squid gear and google "catching Squid in FL" and read up on it. Seems like it is at least somewhat popular in St Pete (people seen there using lights off piers) and Panama City. One negative is that FL wants ridiculous $$$ for non-resident saltwater fishing licenses but if you're down there for a couple weeks or more it may well be worth it.

We're going to be in S. Texas and Baja this winter. Will definitely try both places. We're quite sure that squid jigs would work on octopus also. Last time we were in Mexico, we had octopus grab our bucktail jigs but were not able to hook them. This time we'll have an assortment of squid jigs with us.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing.