Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the general use of caught squid?
Hey all!

I was wondering what squid is ordinarily used for after it is caught. And I mean on a global and commercial scale. Obviously, human consumption plays a major role but I've also read that squid is often used as bait for commercial fishing e.g. with long-liners. Are there any reports/statistics/numbers on that question? Or what do you all think which use of squid prevails?

I really appreciate your help!!

Cheers and thanks

Ole
I would think they are eaten mostly (by people). But don't have any stats unfortunately.
[quote name='OleJen' timestamp='1288044063' post='20696']

Hey all!

I was wondering what squid is ordinarily used for after it is caught. And I mean on a global and commercial scale. Obviously, human consumption plays a major role but I've also read that squid is often used as bait for commercial fishing e.g. with long-liners. Are there any reports/statistics/numbers on that question? Or what do you all think which use of squid prevails?

I really appreciate your help!!

Cheers and thanks

Ole

[/quote]

Hi all

I know for a fact that it is used as bait if cought by

commercial line fishing but it seldom happens that long line

fisherman catch squid at sea.And it will not be commercially

viable to use as bait.So there for it is used mostly for surf

fishing like mussel cracker and Steenbras though you can use it to catch

just about any fish with if

Ujudge

I work commercial fish in Alaska. Squid are favored by some long liners for bait, mostly loligo squid, sometimes Illex. As bait, it sells locally for $0.90/# at the processors. Local at the grocery is about $4/#. Potentual commercial food fishery for small boats, we have some asians and mediteranians here. I have no idea if chopped up Humboldt would sell to the long liners (much more important question than if the halibut or sablefish would bite on it). I've heard stories that imply squid has been around here for a while, but have not been able to track them down.
I think any kind of squid is a very good bait, chopped, alive or entire. That is also the true for cuttlefish and octopussy (all kinds). In the Mediterranean sea, those baits are the best for trolling, longlines (bottom to surface) and surf fishing or fishing from the boat on any depth. Every carnivorous fish eats them with no question, from tiny ones like wrasses, and those bigger and more popular as seabreams, dentex, groupers, sea bass, sharks, amberjacks, leerfish, snappers, and many, many others. I like to eat them as well Smile