Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Successful squid fishing.
Just got back from my first time squid fishing off Omaha Beach from my boat, caught 4 calamari (the fins run the whole length of the body).

The squid jig I bought was crap, not even a touch.

They were caught with some scrappy bits of baitfish I had caught and been frozen.

The rig I used was a running rig with some fluro tubing on it with a size 4 hook.

Just dropped down to the bottom, wind up a few turns and feel the weight come on when they have a taste.

I didn't actually hook the squid, I just gently pulled them up and gently dragged them over the landing net.

Most of the time they dropped of just at the net, but the bait was dropped down straight away and they grabbed hold again.

I was using a 5w 50 bulb green waterproof l.e.d light which gave out the equivalent of a 50w bulb, it was run off a spare car battery I had, and fixed in a polystyrene lid so it could float on top of the water.

It took a while to figure out what to do but i am confident with a little bit more tweaking with a squid jig inner so i can stick it through some bait,

my catch rate would increase considerably.

I have put my mobile phone in the photo so you can see the size.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

hey fishian! welcome to squidfish!! and thanks for sharing the photo! big squid!