Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyannis 2017
Heard they were getting some squid out there this weekend. Anyone get out? I had boat issues holding me back but back up and running. Hoping they last through the week.
Was there at the docks friday (April 31) night - fished for 2 hours - got 4 squid... hopefully they got more over the weekend...

Hey, I am completely new to squid fishing.  Do you guys think the squid will be anywhere more north (boston, quincy) area this weekend?  Or is it too early?  This will be my first time ever going out for squid.  Would you recommend just heading down to Goat Island?  I live in Central MA so it is a similar distance away, I have a friend in Quincy that might be interested in joining me though.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks, Dave

To early for Quincy , go to GI.I haven't fished  Hyannis yet but this wind direction and storm could be pushing them into the harbor. I now the boats are doing well outside at the ledge,

I tried Hyannis again Thursday and Friday... nothing... then some folks drove by and said the schoolies were already in the harbor... so... probably mostly over for the docks there...

My first report. I was in a boat somewhere off hyannis yesterday. The wind was fierce, but the squid were biting. Got a bucket and a half.

Hoping to head down cape next week ... Have anyone been squidding?

Anyone try Hyannis yet this year?

The water surface temperature in Hyannis and Newport is being reported as 42 degrees.  This is about the temp where the squid moved out of Newport last Dec, so I'd be sort of surprised if they are around yet.  Average water temps for this time of year is listed as a few degrees higher. 

Are we taking bets? I am thinking April 28th. 

What are the stats? 50 degrees? 

Quote:Are we taking bets? I am thinking April 28th. 

What are the stats? 50 degrees? 

Yes, 50 is the sweet spot.  It will be a few weeks yet.  The water is too cold.  It's only 45 at the edge, 43 in the sound,  and 40 in between.  Just as well, I still have 4 days of prep left which will take me 2 weeks min to be ready to launch.  Not a lot you can do to paint in 34 degree rainy weather.....
Hey Guys, Does anyone know of a waterfront campground where we may launch our 10 ft inflatable and do some squidding? It's quite a bit of trouble to put the boat together, so it would be nice to be able to leave it on the bank for a few days with our campsite nearby. 

Thanks in advance for any help,

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
The town of Barnstable offers on beach camping for self contained vehicles, though not sure if you need 4wheel drive to access.  Don't however know if they have a launch you could keep the inflatable at or not.  http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/sandyne...fault.aspx
Thanks Folkcafe, we'll check it out.

Quote:The town of Barnstable offers on beach camping for self contained vehicles, though not sure if you need 4wheel drive to access.  Don't however know if they have a launch you could keep the inflatable at or not.  http://www.town.barnstable.ma.us/sandyne...fault.aspx
Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Quote:Thanks Folkcafe, we'll check it out.

It is on the opposite side of the Cape though.  We used to camp at the Cape but mostly at Scusset at the canal.  The other option is the over sand permit for the national seashore up at Race Point near Provincetown.  Lots of people who jig at the docks at Provincetown.  The down side to Race Point are the seals and later when the water gets warmer great whites.
Picking up the boat from the shop tomorrow and will head out next week if I hear anything and weather permits.  

For the last five years I have tried Stonington, CT on the last weekend of April-May 2nd and have seen exactly one squid caught. I think since the air and water have remained cooler that they will not appear in any numbers for 2-3 more weeks.

might be worth checking our  airbnb for hyannis harbor. It is off-season so you might be  able to get cheap rates for waterfront homes. 

Quote:Hey Guys, Does anyone know of a waterfront campground where we may launch our 10 ft inflatable and do some squidding? It's quite a bit of trouble to put the boat together, so it would be nice to be able to leave it on the bank for a few days with our campsite nearby. 

Thanks in advance for any help,
Quote:might be worth checking our  airbnb for hyannis harbor. It is off-season so you might be  able to get cheap rates for waterfront homes. 

Thanks we'll look into it.
Martin and Ruta

Quote:Picking up the boat from the shop tomorrow and will head out next week if I hear anything and weather permits.  
@Vito -- how did it go? 

Any squid squirting at you? 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hyannis Run 2023 IAMFISH 29 5,355 10-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SquidFox
  2017 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 343 76,490 24-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: alaskanaturally
  2017 North Shore Squid battam 65 13,693 11-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Last Post: FatTuna