Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 MA Squid Reports
Starting a new thread for this year.    And an open question to anyone interested.

Has anyone tried fishing for squid from the beach?  I was thinking of using a surf rod, have a 4 or 5 foot leader with a 2oz or 3oz bank sinker on the bottom, and 2 floating squid jigs above on dropper loops.  Fish from a beach on the Northern side of Buzzards bay in line with the Goat Island bridge in RI.  Only East a bit.  Say off of Fairhaven or Mattapoisett.  Heck, even the west end of the canal.  Cast out as far as you can, and let the bank sinker hit bottom.  Hold your rod tip high keeping the squid jigs off the bottom and out of the weeds.  Then just bounce walk it back to shore.   You could do this off the beaches in Falmouth and Hyannis when the squid boats are cruising off the shore also.  It might work, I am definitely going to try it this year. 

I hope everyone had a Happy New Year!

Hi Jim, guys do it often on the Vineyard. Fishing the ends of the jetties along the east side beaches you don't even need lead on an outgoing tide, especially with a westerly wind. Then the usual rig of a small whippy rod with 6 lb line and a single jig works just fine if the squid are near the top. We also use the rig of a 1-2 oz sinker with a jig or two tied above it to fish the channel in the harbor where the squid often seem to accumulate in the daytime there. Use it on some open beaches too. I do switch to a slightly stiffer, longer rod for use with a sinker. Water 30' or so there, you cast a long way across or into the channel, let rig sink, bring it back jigging slowly, deadly. I would not recommend using a surf rod with thick line since thick line hinders the action of the better Yo-Zuri and Yamashita jigs. Thing is, squid have to have a reason to congregate where you fish, in other words, food. If there is good bait up near the shore and the squid are around you will get them, boat, harbor, or open beach.

I was a little surprise to see a post this time of year, guess I'm foolish enough to check in every couple weeks just to see if there is anything new. I hope everybody has a fine new year and that the spring and fall runs are spectacular!!

Time to start keeping a watch on those water temps....    :rod:

I always look for the squid boats tied up in Falmouth harbor right before the squid arrive. When i see them start to arrive i will post it.
What tempature of the water do you have to have to start catching squid?
The guys at Saltwater Edge Newport told me a few squid are actually getting caught around the bridge and in Jamestown since I once worked there I assume this report is valid .
I’m pretty sure the key word here is …. a … few .
A few sometimes also means alot who knows gotta get out there and see for myself.but which bridge the goat island bridge?
Yes Goat island Bridge . There is also a very nicely renovated dock / ramp at Elm Street only a few hundred yards away . This dock should be very squiddy at night .
Amazon has very good green LED lights that run off a 12 V portable battery . No need for generator .

I just got 5 for my boat but at the bridge 2 - 4 people should be able to fish one light

Home Depot also has a blinding Rigid LED shop lamp .
Amazon has very good green LED lights that run off a 12 V portable battery . No need for generator .

I just got 5 for my boat but at the bridge 2 - 4 people should be able to fish one light

Home Depot also has a blinding Rigid LED shop lamp .
I know the best time to check Is at night but can I try in the day time too?
Sure, I have caught many squid in the daytime. On the other hand I have never seen squid in good numbers until after May 1st. Hopefully this year will see a great spring run!!

I ran out of food, Let me know when the squid are in. I'll take my boat out in a few weeks or sooner.

I'll let you guys know if they're in.

Old pics

✌️        
As soon as my lower unit gets replaced Ill be in Hyannis every day / evening until Tuna Season . If you or anyone needs food or bait Im licensed to sell right off the boat .
Gilligan is right about May 1st . if you enjoy being cold and in 3 - 6 ft seas yeah you can start bothering to look for them around April 27 th but once may hits its balls on for about 10 - 12 days .
Hi everyone this probably is totally unnecessary .. but that being said it still seems to matter at least in my observations .

I dip my jigs in Blue Herring scent Smelly Jelly to add scent to the jig so as to make it easier to find which it seems to speaking of jigs I use # 8 Flourocarbon and the #8 Yo - Zuri high low squid rig and small Yo Zuri Auri -Q as it has a Chinese handcuff over it that holds the scent longer . The squid seem to like this set up .
Since my wife is a master finger nail painter and we have a child to keep busy I also find it helps to let her and our son get carried away with funky nail polish and glitter on my 1.75 teardrop sinkers . The squid seem to be impressed 🤣🌈🦑😎
My friends plan on heading out this Saturday, Ill post back if they go.
Just spoke to one of the Newport captains I once worked for back in the 90s not yet soon but not yet .

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2022 Rhode Island Squidding Intel J'aimeSquid 41 12,882 27-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: tropics
  2021 MA Squid Reports KorkyPlunger 19 5,428 02-11-2021, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Benzzino
  Squid Reports lastfish1 0 3,145 29-05-2011, 09:29 AM
Last Post: lastfish1