Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 Rhode Island Squidding Intel
Im preparing my arsenal for this years season. Hopefully it will be epic. Has anyone had good success with jigs other than the classic Yozuri and Yamashita jigs?
Sure, there are home made jigs that sometimes do very well, usually stick type jigs. I don't know why anybody would use other than the known killers though. I've been jigging squid over 45 years and to me the Yamashita Naory in size 1.5B or 1.8B are about the deadliest I have used and I hardly ever use anything else. I have a couple hundred jigs, I buy every smaller jig I can find and try them, but the Naory is still my go-to jig. They are expensive, no doubt about it but they are fantastic if used properly on light rods with 4-6lb line for plain jigging or on a dropper over a 1-2oz lead if one needs to go deep.

Hello fellow squidders! The time is near. Good jigging to all!
Time to start keeping a watch on those water temps....   :rod:
What temps should we be trying to squid? I squid in Newport, RI of goat Island.
Quote:What temps should we be trying to squid? I squid in Newport, RI of goat Island.

50-55 degrees
I'm gonna give Goat Island a try this weekend. I'll keep everyone posted.
I'm gonna try today or tommrow, day time good to or just nights?
Well I attempted the goat island last night no squid so far, not even one ink spot.
Well I attempted the goat island last night no squid so far, not even one ink spot.
Kudos for trying . Im planning to come down Monday afternoon with my green lights to get set up for the evening .
The Newport captains I once worked for say soon but not yet so dont burn the gas .

Yet .
Quote:I'm gonna try today or tommrow, day time good to or just nights?
I have had luck both during the day, and also at night. Most folks like to go at night and bring lights with them to better attract the squid to their spot. Back in the 80's I would bring my two daughters squiding with me and we always went during the day. We did really well back then, but there wasn't too much fishing pressure back then. It's like everything else in life, all about "timing". Good luck.

Thanks I will try again on friday.
Getting close but water temp is only 46.2 and predicted to be 48.6 in the next 10 days. It has been as warm as 50 on this date but not this year. You really need the temp to get above 50. Even then it’s not the best yet. Low fifties. 55 is when it is certain. Can’t wait.
My buddy and his 2 friends managed to fill half a 5 gallon bucket yesterday fishing off the Goat Island pier.
KorkyPlunger what time you went? Goat Island Bridge Pier where near the bridge is that what your talking about van zandt Pier?
Mellowfellow I just checked with my friend. It wasnt the pier, it was off the bridge on Gladys Carr Bolhouse road. He said they started biting after sunset around 8pm.
Thanks I gotta go try today.
Thanks for the good news!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rhode Island 2023 JonnyFishOn 86 16,275 06-11-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  2022 MA Squid Reports jimaok 86 14,148 22-10-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: folkcafe
  2018 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 147 42,836 30-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SquidFox