Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humboldt Or Jumbo Squid Fishing
I am planning a trip to the west coast from Nebraska this August specifically to go squid fishing. Where would be the best place to try my luck? I would like to try somewhere around the San Francisco area but am willing to try anything. Please let me know what you think!
[quote name='traceh' post='12088' date='Jun 5 2008, 03:52 PM']I am planning a trip to the west coast from Nebraska this August specifically to go squid fishing. Where would be the best place to try my luck? I would like to try somewhere around the San Francisco area but am willing to try anything. Please let me know what you think![/quote]

Try fishing out of Half Moon Bay, between Santa Cruz and San Francisco, on the Huli Cat. Tom Mattusch is the owner. He does a great job finding Humboldt squid, and if they are around, he's your guy.
[quote name='traceh' post='12088' date='Jun 6 2008, 08:52 AM']I am planning a trip to the west coast from Nebraska this August specifically to go squid fishing. Where would be the best place to try my luck? I would like to try somewhere around the San Francisco area but am willing to try anything. Please let me know what you think![/quote]

I've been out of Half Moon Bay for Squid on the Huli Cat with Captain Tom. It was a drag. I had to use 2lbs of weight on my squid jig just to get it down to 1200 feet because the current was so strong. I caught two squid all day and it was a ton of work and I had a ton of line out.

I'm going to Bodega Bay next time which is about an hour north of San Francisco. Those guys fly line squid jigs with no weight up there and catch the squid under the boat 10 to 25 ft down. Lets see,1 squid 1200 feet down or 1 squid 10 ft down.

Do a google search for Boat contacts. Personally I'm trying this one next time. (707) 875-3344

Good Luck!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cooking Jumbo Squid - Recipe Help Student 0 7,841 26-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Student
  Humboldt Squid Fishing Off Northern California abdiver12 9 13,829 16-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Last Post: shaunambarnard
  Dosidicus Gigas (jumbo Squid) glen 1 12,671 27-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Last Post: glen