Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commercial Squid Jobs
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site, and I've never actually fished for squid...

But I just got started purse seining for salmon in SW Alaska, and now I'm in Anacortes WA drum seining for chum salmon. Our season is just starting, and will probably end the last few days of November.

I'm looking for information on the commercial operation in the San Diego area:

the main marinas/harbors, canneries, boats, skippers, and just any useful information in searching for a job. My understanding is that their season comes to a close in mid to late December, and as with most commercial fishing, deckhands quit towards the end of the season for a multitude of reasons - injury, burnout, no more fish, mutiny, hot girl waiting, whatever. If anyone could give me some leads to make my transition from one job to the next a little less stressful is would be greatly appreciated. And if you were to land me a decent job there would definitely be a round of drinks or food on me. Thanks again.

MD
Jumbo squid that can grow up to 7 feet long and weigh more than 110 pounds is invading central California waters and preying on local anchovy, hake and other commercial fish populations, according to a study published Tuesday. Before the 1970s, the giant squid were typically found in the Eastern Pacific, and in coastal waters spanning from Peru to Costa Rica.
[quote name='mdombrink' post='9513' date='Oct 21 2007, 06:24 AM']Hey everyone, I'm new to the site, and I've never actually fished for squid...

But I just got started purse seining for salmon in SW Alaska, and now I'm in Anacortes WA drum seining for chum salmon. Our season is just starting, and will probably end the last few days of November.

I'm looking for information on the commercial operation in the San Diego area:

the main marinas/harbors, canneries, boats, skippers, and just any useful information in searching for a job. My understanding is that their season comes to a close in mid to late December, and as with most commercial fishing, deckhands quit towards the end of the season for a multitude of reasons - injury, burnout, no more fish, mutiny, hot girl waiting, whatever. If anyone could give me some leads to make my transition from one job to the next a little less stressful is would be greatly appreciated. And if you were to land me a decent job there would definitely be a round of drinks or food on me. Thanks again.

MD[/quote]

Hello I hope this will help you. GO TO CHANNEL ISLAND HARBOR OR VENTURE HARBOR THE ENTIRE FLEET IS THERE NOW AND USUALLY IS THERE FOR A WHILE, WORST CASE THEY WOULD BE IN SAN PEDRO. WALK THE DOCKS AND ASK FOLKS IS WHAT I WOULD DO UNLESS YOU KNOW FOLKS. SOBER CLEAN GUY WILL GET A JOB NO PROBLEM. WHAT DO YOU DO ON THE SEINER NOW? I WOULD NOT GO TO SAN DIEGO WAIST OF TIME FOR A SEINER JOB. YOU CAN E MAIL AND I WILL HELP OUT IF YOU WANT....fishstix79@yahoo.com.. GOOD LUCK, THERE SEASON IS FULL SPEED NOW USUALLY WELL INTO MARCH, YOU JUST NEVE RKNOW

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Want to buy a commercial squid license Bill0592 0 2,821 25-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Bill0592
  Commercial Squid Fishing savut 6 9,763 24-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Loe11
  Commercial squid fishing gear Guest 20 69,056 27-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Mossy