Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Made Squid Jigs (from Archive)
<table bgcolor="#000000" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="50%">

<tr width="100%">

<td>

<table width="100%" bgcolor="#7CA3DE" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0">

<tr width="100%"><td><table bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr bgcolor="#000090"><td width="15%"><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">From</font></td><td><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">Message</font></td></tr>

<tr><td valign="top" bgcolor="#F0F0FF"><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">Glen

Administrator

[email=southerncalamari(at)start.com.au][Image: email.gif][/email]

25/1/2002

15:33:55

</font></td><td bgcolor="#F0F0FF" valign="top">

<font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">

[Image: document.gif] Subject: Home made squid jigs

<font size="1">IP: Logged</font>

Hi all,

I would be interested to know if anyone out there has tried to make their own squid jigs. I have tried but i am still at the beginner stage.

The method i used was to first tie some barbess hooks onto a thick piece of wire (about 1mm thick)in a ring formation using some fly-tying thread. I then used epoxy glue to hold them in place. The wire was about 3 inches long and i twisted the wire at the "fishing line" end so as to form a loop where fishing line could be attached.

Next i carved some balsa wood into the shape of a squid jig. I cut this in half and tried to hollow out the inside so i could fit some lead in there.

Then i glued the two pieced of balsa wood together with the wire running through the centre and the ring of barbless hooks protruding from the end. I then painted the jig pink and gave it a coat of nail polish.

Then for the test drive....arghhh...it floated! I didn't use enough lead obviously so I will know next time.

Back to the drawing board.

Glen

</font></td></tr>

<tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">Frank

[email=fkyw(at)yahoo.com][Image: email.gif][/email]

27/1/2002

08:54:57

</font></td><td valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff">[Image: document.gif] <font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">RE: Home made squid jigs

Hi Glen,

First, congratulations for the new chatboard!

As for your early attempts at squid jig making, all is not lost. Even if the jig floats, you can still utilise it with a paternoster rig; what's probably more critical is for the jig to rest horizontally or with the tail end slightly raised, and not bottom heavy. Chaps still fish successfully with normal sinking jigs and the paternoster set-up.

Cheers.

</font></td></tr>

<tr><td bgcolor="#F0F0FF" valign="top"><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">dunnheap

[email=dunnheap(at)hotmail.com][Image: email.gif][/email]

10/6/2002

22:46:25

</font></td><td valign="top" bgcolor="#F0F0FF">[Image: document.gif] <font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">RE: Home made squid jigs

I made some from yellow bic pens, cut in half, and glued a set of long shank hooks to the bottom

- didn't catch any southern calamari squid, have not tried it on arrow squid in Cowan waters.

I plan to cut down my retired jigs down to a 1" jigs one day.....

</font></td></tr>

<tr><td bgcolor="#ffffff" valign="top"><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">fishooked

[email=fishline(at)pac.com.au][Image: email.gif][/email]

30/6/2002

11:47:56

</font></td><td valign="top" bgcolor="#ffffff">[Image: document.gif] <font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">RE: Home made squid jigs

I use a double Z jig and find that they last as long as Yo-Zuri jigs.As they cost $4.50 I could not afford the time to make them.

see-ya

Nic

</font></td></tr>

<tr><td bgcolor="#F0F0FF" valign="top"><font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">conehead66

[email=conehead66(at)dodo.com.au][Image: email.gif][/email]

19/7/2002

19:25:59

</font></td><td valign="top" bgcolor="#F0F0FF">[Image: document.gif] <font color="#000000" face="arial" size="2">RE: Home made squid jigs

I made a few by combining Torpedo float (polystyrene), metal fish holding jag and 1/2 or 1 oz sinker (type with attachment loop at the top) .

First remove plastic line guide inserted in the float . Then make a hole in one side of float about 2" back from the orange end and slide sinker loop in to hole , run squid jag through the middle from other end and hey presto slow sinking squid lure , a little large but works killer on the larger specimens and has an awesome action in the water plus the bonus of excellent visibility .

</font>

</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr>

</table></td></tr></table>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Home Made Squid Jigs red 16 25,931 30-10-2017, 03:32 AM
Last Post: yogibearal
  Squid jig plastic and wood bodies pre made blanks Mully 2 4,707 31-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Last Post: BillG
  Home Made Squid Jig Supplies glen 18 58,811 08-10-2014, 05:56 AM
Last Post: oldwolf