Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Randimal homemade squid jigs
I don't have any pictures right now, but I'll give you the step by step on how I make the jigs.

I make 2 different kinds. Weighted bottom jigs and unweighted for the top 2 on the setup. The process is the same except that the weighted ones have a bullet weight under the hooks and sometimes a few more small weights added inside the body.

First you need wire. I buy mine from a fishing store. They are about 6 inches long and have a loop at one end. They are sold to make trout spinners.

Next comes hooks. I use quilting pins. I pull off the plastic balls with pliers and bend them into an L shape. I use 10 per jig.

Next is the hard part. Getting the pins on the wire. I have tried soldering and superglue, but my best luck has been with an expoxy called JB weld. You can buy it at any hardware store. I dip the ends of the pins in the epoxy and stick them onto the wire. A small piece of drinking straw or a pony bead can help to keep the pins in place while the expoxy dries (about 4 hours). Its easier to put the pins on the weighted jig since the bullet weight helps to hold them in place.

Another option is to use the drinking straw or pen body (which will become the jig body) to help hold the epoxy and pins in place. You insert the wire and then fill the end of the straw with epoxy (I also put a bead inside to keep the epoxy from dripping out). This way, the pins are just pushed into the epoxy and not glued directly to the wire. I've done it this way as well.

After 24 hours, the epoxy is dry and you can start decorating. To make it look like the korean jigs, add a straw or a pen for the body (if you didn't use them in the last step). Add a large bead at the top and bend the wire into another loop to hold it together.

Next comes the glow. Glow in the dark tape should cover the whole body. Then decorate. Sparkle tape, red, green or blue tape work. Glitter fingernail polish, or anything else you think looks tasty.

Finally, I add clear fingernail polish to hold it all together. Its cheap, I get it at the dollar store. Its not really necessary, but it keeps the tape from unravelling.

Lastly, I bend the end of the pins again so they are all pointing upward. Best to do this after decorating. Otherwise....ouch.

When your done, you can have a jig that looks exactly like the store bought ones, or something one-of-a-kind if you feel like being creative. Mine work better than the store bought simply because I get to choose the size, color and weight.

Now there's a good chance some of this made no sense, so I'll take pictures later.

Randimal
Hi Randimal,

A picture would be great.

I have a question...Do you find the pins rust quickly?

Thanks, Glen :geek
The pins are stainless steel.

Randimal
Here's the parts.
Again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The jigs on top I made. The jigs on bottom I bought.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  more homemade jigs The Squiding Phenom 5 10,364 03-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Last Post: 10lb
  Homemade jigs by Calamariman calamariman 10 19,135 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Last Post: wangtrevor
  Homemade "trolling Spoon" Squid Jig luftnpanzrwagn 2 10,111 30-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Last Post: luftnpanzrwagn