Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squid Fishing Facts and Info - Long island, NY - Squid season 2013
Hey guys,

So I'm rather new to the squid fishing scene. I've heard about it over the years but never participated until this year, which I'm really excited to try.

There doesn't seem to be many forums I could find that are recently updated except here so I'm making an entry here in the squid fishing section. And yes I've scoured the internet. Most entries are from 2012 or a lot older with scattered information.

I would appreciate anyone who can validate and reply on any questions on what I've read online so far about squid fishing.

Squid tend to come into the shore area when water temperatures hit 50-55 degrees F.

Best times to squid are sunrise or sunset. Or at nighttime with lights on the water.

The best colors for jigs usually are typically pink, orange? Sometimes green or blue? Size 2-4" jigs are best? Brands?

Squid boats that go out to sea? I heard Laura Lee (captree) and Fishtale (fire island) went out last year? Was it for squid fishing? or just a night time bass trip and you decided to squid on your own? I thought both ships were fluke/bass ships and didn't go out at nights. Any clarification would be appreciated. Or info on any boats that squid fish (party or charter with costs $)

Now I heard about the docks squid fishing in greenport. I had some pretty good times porgie & bass fishing on the peconic star so I know the area and pretty much understand the area where to go squid fishing there. Especially with the light posts shining over the water.

What I'm curious about is are there other areas? Can't be online Greenport in all of Long island.

I live out in queens so its a 2 1/2 hour drive. I'd prefer to get the chances of success up as much as I can before heading out.

So any other known squid fishing spots would be awesome.

I'm following the Newport RI, and Greenport, NY posts as well. Seems the newport section shows a lot more activity. Would love to see any responses in the NY section.

All i know is from the Newport section the it seems the season is about to begin very soon. Possibly in the next 2-3 weeks. Looking forward to it!!!
I was out last night off of Point Judith RI, and only saw jellyfish, water temp was just below 48, still too cold hopefully by next week things will heat up.
Those two boats go for night sea bass but people catch squid too if you target them. Best time for squid is in the dark with lights.The color doesnt really matter but you cant go wrong with pink or a blue color. Other than Greenpoint or Montauk you really need to get onto a boat, but usually they will be in the bays a few days in June. Ususally by the time you hear about it its is over in the bay. Other than that you must go in the ocean 60-100' deep at night.

Hi...

Squid fishing in long island will start this weekend ....

captree state park ...captreepride makes new plan for squid fishing every weekend..

check it up  www.captreepride.com..

Last saterday night I tried but not many..only  3 in 30 min.

It will getting better hopely this Weekend..^^

see ya  ........

Last year squidding was great out of fire island. Hope this year is as good. Looks like its off to a slow start. The squid draggers havnt been seen and fluke fishing is not good in the ocean.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long Island Squid JoeQian 4 1,211 17-11-2022, 02:27 AM
Last Post: JoeQian
  Any actions from Greenport long island NY? rsgtz 4 2,219 12-05-2020, 01:44 AM
Last Post: JoeQian
  Huntington Long Island emsmarshall1 20 10,185 06-12-2019, 03:49 AM
Last Post: BillHoo