Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rhode Island 2023
Its almost that time
Newby to squid fishing from shore.

Recommendation for generator and lights for fishing from bridge (low bridge such as on Goat Island) or a low pier?

Thanks in advance.
I am also just starting out squid fishing. I bought a light off Amazon and a 12 volt rechargable battery.

I hope amazon links are okay on this site

Richie

I am in Attleboro if  you want maybe we could get out together.

https://www.amazon.com/Night-Fishing-Lig...s9dHJ1ZQ==

Honestly I use a 1,500 led light from Walmart. I feel the noise from all the generators is annoying. I remember the Coleman lantern days were just as good as the new led / generator days. Also theres always going to be plenty of light at the popular spots. Sometimes fishing outside the lights is where the bite is at. Newport GIB and Pt Judith is where I spend my time getting inked.
 I mostly squid the docks on Martha's Vineyard. I have been doing so for over 45 years and do very well. I have never owned one of those underwater lights and if somebody has one in the water on a dock I will usually move away from the influence of the light. I like bright dock lights shining in the water and sometimes like Johnny says the action is in the shadows just outside the lit area. Now I don't squid from bridges so maybe the lights work well there but if others have lights in the water or above it you probably won't need one. I suppose I am lucky, I have never seen anybody with a generator on a dock, I suppose I would have to find a dock where I couldn't hear it. Or smell it. I think the right rod and line and the right jig is more important than light.

Water temp is 43F as of today.
Hey, I was wondering what happened to Glen, is he no longer running this site?

Like you Gilligan, I have been fishing for squid an awful long time (1974)! I was stationed on a ship in Newport and one day while jigging for mackerel I ended up snagging 3 squid. My wife and I are Italian and we love squid. I started making home made jigs with government pens, yellow spray paint, hooks glued around the bottom and a split shot sinker pushed inside the pen. At the beginning when I was catching them people would ask what did I do with all of them, surely I had more than I needed for bait.... lol .... BAIT, my wife would have killed me for using fresh squid for bait! Anyway, I have never used a generator or any lights and have always fished from the piers or bridges, as a matter of fact I normally fished during the day, bringing my family along most times. Unfortunately, I don't get to fish for squid that much anymore, we are usually in Italy during the prime time squid fishing season and we leave Italy before their squid season begins!

My prediction this year is April 20th. High tide is a couple hours after sunset, new moon, and, with the water already close to 44, I think it will be an early season this year. Last year, vacations and family obligations meant that I didn't get out fishing one single time. I was quite sad. This year, I am going to make it the year of the fish (squid count as fish, right?) and get out as often as possible!

I am very jealous.  I haven't made it to Italy yet.  My father's father is from Fano, Marche and my father's mother is from Fioggia, Puglia.

Calamari recipe:  I follow one by Michael Chiorello, Easy Entertaining, from the Food Channel.

1 part each: flour, All Purpose

:  flour, from ground Arborio Rice

: Cornmeal

This is part of his Frito Misto recipe if you happen to Google it.

This year I have to try using my ice fishing jigging rod! Oh its gonna be fun!
Ice fishing jigging rod will work well. Water temp 47 in Newport! Getting close!!

Good to know Mats! Ty I was thinking about next weekend.
Went over to GI today. No ink on bridge. One person jigging. He said nothing around yet!

Reply to Kamikazekiddo,

I agree with JonnyFishOn.  I use a similar light, about 1000 lumens.  You don't need a generator and massive lights to attract squid.  Softer lighting closer or actually in the water seems to work best.  The green submersible lights are a good attractant and most run on small 12V rechargeable batteries or are USB rechargeable. Generators are loud and annoying.  Takes away from the enjoyment of the fishing experience.  Some "Terrys" will argue with me that they only come to fill up buckets.  So be it.  But I travel a long way to enjoy being there with people on the bridge.  Fishing and enjoying a good cigar and a grinder from Niko's in Harrisville.

Newport water temperature today is 47 degrees.  They should be in soon.

I like the Bass Pro Green LED powered with Amazon rechargeable 12Vs too .

Have 7 on my boat . ( Or in my truck )
Agree with you EJ. We too come from a long way to fish GIB and enjoy the entire experience not just the catching. Unfortunately, we've experience times while using our own minimal light and doing quite well, someone coming along with a noisy generator and light that could land an airplane. Often times that is the end of catching for us unless we elbow in and share the obnoxious noise and the fellow's light. Yes, we believe that a small light is all that is needed and works well unless there's a bigger one competing with you.

That said, we do not resent folks fishing anyway they like as long it is legal. Everyone has their own criteria for enjoyment. If you have to fill buckets to enjoy yourself, that's fine. To us fishing is a -way-of-life that involves much more than catching.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Last year when I was down there in August a group of people had two of what looked like 24 flat screen tvs that was nothing but LED lighting! I couldnt believe how much light was being cast. Probably blinding from the Newport bridge.
Hi retired squid, I am still around! Cheers, Glen :th

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hyannis Run 2023 IAMFISH 29 5,332 10-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SquidFox
  2022 Rhode Island Squidding Intel J'aimeSquid 41 12,882 27-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: tropics
  2018 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 147 42,836 30-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SquidFox