The world's biggest, nicest and most helpful squid fishing community!!

Photo
- - - - -

Ardrossan Jetty

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 chase

chase

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:32 PM

Squidfish is looking like a ghost town in sa... im heading to Ardrossan jetty sometime soon and im staying over night to get the best times for squid. let you know howw it goes

#22 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hey chase, I hope you get a few! :th

#23 Daz

Daz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Hi, try Rapid Bay jetty my wife and i have been down there nearly every weekend for the past 6 weeks and have picked up around 20 squid each time. Second Valley jetty has also been reasonably productive. No shortage of salt and pepper squid here for us and the rest of the family.

cheers

Daz :)

#24 ADELAIDE_CLAY

ADELAIDE_CLAY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

I was at adrossan jetty two weeks ago from around 8pm to 2am and got 18 squid! a week later went to moonta and got a monster squid. along with 3 other big squid. off to adrossan again tomorrow night, they seem to be on the bite! :) ;)

#25 glen

glen

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 08 April 2010 - 03:52 PM

hey clay! thanks for the report :)

cheers, glen

#26 SAfishaholic

SAfishaholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:52 PM

Squid always come to the Jetties on the eastern side of St vincents gulf from late June till early spring in large numbers to breed.
it happens when the water temp drops and that dosnt happen until we get the first real big rains.
without a doubt the best squid jags are the Yamashita Natural coulous, sizes 2 and 2.5, the best colours depend on the conditions, but i find the coulor thats just like a slimey mackerel is probarly the best. i always use a 14 pound flurocarbon leader, rod is a shimano rack raider 3-5kg and reel is TD Diawa sol 2000 with 10 pound fireline. nice light rod, you can use it for hours and when you get a nice squid they put a nice bend in the rod.
the Yamashita squid jags i use i cast them out let them sink and reel them in super slow, if youre getting ribbon weed on your jag you are only just reeling too slow, no twitching or anything just let the lure drift through the current and thats normally all that you need to do.
and mabye grab yourself a round two ring yabby net for landing the massive ones you get quite often.best of luck.

hi 1s24k, thanks for the report! :sq:

#27 Squidgy5355

Squidgy5355

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Fishing for squid of course.

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:29 AM

I usually go squidding at Ardrossan jetty and catch most of the time my limit and sometimes over I just throw them back I just love catching them is good enough for me.

#28 Kegguss

Kegguss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

Hi All,

Just stumbled upon this forum and loving it!!

Lots of great tips and ideas on here that I will definitely use.

My girlfriend and I love squidding and catching crabs. Im not much of a fisherman so this is the best way for me to come home with the goods :)

Going up to Moonta this weekend maybe Ardrossan as well. Is there many around at the moment?

#29 lovemyardrossan

lovemyardrossan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:57 AM

Hi guys, i am new here,i found this site bcoz i love ardrossan & fishing.we been to ardrossan only 3 times & my wife really like the place and me i like the jetty.3 weeks ago we bought a caravan + anex on site at ardrossan's caravan park. Thank you for all your information posts and comments,they really help me a lot.we going back there today and stay for the weekend.when in come back i will post how things go up there.:au::ink

Edited by lovemyardrossan, 04 February 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#30 glen

glen

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:35 AM

Sounds like an awesome place. I have not had a chance to explore SA very much so far.

#31 dr.fish

dr.fish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

awesome jetty at ardrossan we went and caught 25 squid and we had an awesome time thanks guys :rod:public/style_emoticons/default/fishing.gif the best fishing trip ever well im gonna be going back there again

#32 Lyman57

Lyman57

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

i was down ardrossan jetty last week and we caught three huge squid in fifteen minutes right on sunset. i used a pilchard on a simple squid jig. the next day when i was fishing at price my dad pulled up an undersized king George with ink all over it. so basically all I'm saying is anywhere between port Clinton and ardrossan are really big squid so it's worth chucking out a pilchard and casting out off the last 20 metres of the ardrossan jetty.
respect