The world's biggest, nicest and most helpful squid fishing community!!

Photo
- - - - -

Opinions On Size 2.0 Squid Jigs ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fire Eagle

Fire Eagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

On average, Malaysia Squids weigh around 500g. Are Size 2.0 Squid Jigs too small to use ? The reason i use Size 2.0 is because it is small enough to tempt smaller and timid squids to take the jigs. However, is it "too small to be seen" by larger squids ? Resulting in reduced catch rate ?

I am using the Size 2.0 Yamashita Egi Sutte. What do you think ?

#2 mikeyb

mikeyb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

If you are already catching squid then you dont have a problem, here in morton bay sometimes big jigs do catch bigger squid, but for the most part when you start catching squid you are on the right size/color or technique.
I personally think if you can match the jig to the local prawn (or bait) size then your half way there.

I have seen a few small squid take big jigs but have seen lots of big squid take small jigs.
Mikey...

#3 Jazman

Jazman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

The size 2.0 yamashitas are a great jig, and will attract bigger squid no problem. I mostly use size 2.0 and smaller because I am usually fishing in shallow water (1-2 metres), and I find the larger heavier jigs sink far too quickly. But even with these small jigs I have caught some great squid up to 1.5kg. I caught the one below on a size 1.8 Daiwa Emeraldas jig.

Attached Thumbnails

• squid_on_1.8.jpg

#4 Fire Eagle

Fire Eagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

The size 2.0 yamashitas are a great jig, and will attract bigger squid no problem. I mostly use size 2.0 and smaller because I am usually fishing in shallow water (1-2 metres), and I find the larger heavier jigs sink far too quickly. But even with these small jigs I have caught some great squid up to 1.5kg. I caught the one below on a size 1.8 Daiwa Emeraldas jig.

Thanks alot for your information. It really helps me :th ...