6 replies to this topic

#1 Jyesic

Jyesic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Jetty jumping,bmxing,fishing and camping

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hey guys, should you tie on a lead for using a squid jig and if so should it be tied directly to the jig?
And i am using a 6 kg lead at the moment on a 3.0 yo zuri orange premium jig with a 2 piece starlo stick and a sedona 2500 (spinning).
Is that ok? If not what would you recommend?
Thx! :)

Edited by Jyesic, 04 March 2010 - 11:04 AM.

#2 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

I don't use lead myself but if I needed to get deep I would use a paternoster rig

http://www.rexhunt.c...s-rigs#offshore (just replace the hooks with jigs)

#3 Salty_Dog

Salty_Dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:39 AM

Hello Jyesic,

Sounds like a good outfit to me, i use a very similar weighted outfit.
I use a 7lb flourocarbon leader myself, sometimes bigger.
I have never tired braid directly to a jig.... i guess if you're not running braid, then no leader material would be fine.

#4 Jyesic

Jyesic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Jetty jumping,bmxing,fishing and camping

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:27 AM

Ok ive just heard of some people saying to tie your braid directly to the jig and I thought it sounded wierd.By the way, should I us a snap swivel?
Because I usually tie my mono directly to the jig as I think it works better but it's just a hastle when your constantly changing your jigs.

#5 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:01 AM

You can always use a mono trace :) Personally I don't like braid. I lost so many good trevally on it in Exmouth! I am still crying about it :)

#6 floatie

floatie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:58 AM

I tie a swivel to my main line and then tie on "Super Egi" leader. Apparently it's invisible ect, I tie a loop to put to put the squid jig on and a 20-30cm trace to a small swivel sinker

#7 Mr. Brian

Mr. Brian

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:48 AM

Ok ive just heard of some people saying to tie your braid directly to the jig and I thought it sounded wierd.By the way, should I us a snap swivel?
Because I usually tie my mono directly to the jig as I think it works better but it's just a hastle when your constantly changing your jigs.

Sometimes I use a snap swivel. Other times I dont. It just makes things much easier when swapping out jigs. The squid dont seem to mind the swivel.

I use braid too. But only for single jigs. If im jigging (up & down) using multiple jigs on dropper loops, I'll use mono. Tangles & braid is no fun. Especially if theres a huge pod in front of you ready to take whatever you offer them & everybodys nailing them while your rig's a mess.

Theres really no right or wrong. Do whatever suits you best. :)