43 replies to this topic

#41 Steeny

Steeny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

i've only been squidding seriously a few times, and it was years back at victor harbour in SA.

We fished all day with a couple of locals using tommies and pichards on baited jigs and got nothing. well, since i was bored, i decided to try and catch some fish off the breakwater. got a few nice parroties, and dad, being the industrious bloke that he is, decided to chuck a still kicking fresh parotfish on the jig. we hooked up to a 2kg squid in less than 5 mins, and got 4 more within the hour. the locals couldn't believe it.

since then i've never used anything except fresh local bait if i can manage it, and always had fairly good success.

has anyone every played with trailing hooks. I was once at mornington and my baited jig got really hard by a big silver fish (no idea what it was). word is that if you put a foot of line behind the jag with a bait, you increast the chances of catching fish that decide that a squid jag is a good target? any opinions?

#42 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:03 PM

the baited hook below the squid jag would catch fish i am sure!

BUT if the bait gets picked off by small fish, you will need to continually retrieve the line, re-bait and then recast. And I guess this continual re-casting might damage your skewered squid bait (e.g the skewered parrot fish)...it would depend on how well you have secured the bait to the squid jag....

Cheers, Glen :woot:

#43 Skywoolf

Skywoolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, Mac Computers, Web development, Fishing

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

Can somebody tell me why squid jigs usually have so many hooks and usually no barbs on the hooks?
I am old enough to remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous.
http://www.frankwoolf.com
http://www.sportfishingasia.com

#44 jordan

jordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:58 PM

Can somebody tell me why squid jigs usually have so many hooks and usually no barbs on the hooks?

I am pretty sure this is because the barbs on the jags would rip straight through the squids tentacles once a decent amount of pressure was applied.

And to the baiting prawn imitation jig question, i have seen squid caught on a paternoster of bait jig and prawn style jig, while straight prawn style jigs have been producing nothing. With the exact same jigs as my brother, he out squidded me until i changed to his idea too. I'm guessing the baited jig attracted the squid while the prawn style jig actually caught the squid.

Also, has anyone tried using a fresh prawn as a bait on a baited jig? Or would pickers destroy it before the squid had a chance to take it?

Cheers,
Jordan