22 replies to this topic

#21 Gilligan

Gilligan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

Funny Hobo, I just orderd some more Yamashita Naorys from them, $6.52 each, a lot better than 12-14 bucks apiece in RI. The Begix are a little light, that is they sink very slowly, which sometimes is a good thing. I have added a little lead tape to the weighted keel to make some of mine sink a little faster, I use a little epoxy to hold the extra lead on, it doesn't take much, a gram or two. The Wakames work fine as they come from the box. If I were you I'd get a few of the Naorys too, size 1.8 or "basic" 5.5 grams on Waveinn. They still have the clear/white and orange ones left in the original Naory Range Hunter series. They have been a #1 squid killer for a few years now and are no longer available here in the US. I will use the cheaper ones when squid are on the bottom and I risk losing the jigs to the bottom, Naorys most other times. The Naory RH series is also very good but a buck or two more at Waveinn, again size 1.8 "basic" 5.5 grams. When the squid are on the surface the Begix can be a real killer as they come from the box.

#22 BillG

BillG

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:33 PM

Anyone feel free to answer, but, Gilligan, I think I recall that you go out mostly from a kayak, right? My wife tried to convince me to buy one of the Job Lot plastic ones and I was tempted with the idea of being able to take it out for squid. I figured the cheap kayak wouldn't be an issue for the in-shore area, as I wouldn't be paddling far and it would be in a semi-sheltered area.  What kind of set up is needed to target squid from a kayak?

#23 Gilligan

Gilligan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

Hi Bill, sorry, but I am mostly a dock and pier squidder, occasionally in harbors in a tin boat, but I have not fished squid from a kayak. I have fished stripers from an inflatable kayak in the Hudson river, pretty low tech, just paddling and casting or occasionally trolling. I think you should be OK in inshore protected water, but I know there are kayak squidders on this forum, hopefully some will chime in to help you.

Best, G

Edited by Gilligan, 12 March 2017 - 01:48 AM.