109 replies to this topic

#101 Diana

Diana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:27 PM

Thank you!

Diana, it's a Frances Fleet squid charter. They typically go out 3-5 times per week for a few weeks, as long as squid are around in numbers. 

#102 greg ct

greg ct

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:14 AM

Late to the game, just got my boat back together.  I can't get out this weekend, but weds to friday nights next week look perfect.

Planning to leave from the wakefield side of point judith sometime before dark and return whenever.   I'll be solo unless someone wants to hop on.  Just pluck me out of the water if I fall in.  ;)

Boat is a 35' downeast with full electronics and safety gear for canyon trips, but you will be close enough to swim to shore regardless (just kidding about the swimming part).

Same stomping grounds as the frances fleet.  We will rub shoulders with them if they are out.

Don't really care if the squid are there personally, I just want to get out and try.

#103 alaskanaturally

alaskanaturally

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, mushrooming, wild food gathering, prospecting for minerals, traveling, gardening and orcharding and cultivation for wildlife.

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:30 AM

Late to the game, just got my boat back together.  I can't get out this weekend, but weds to friday nights next week look perfect.

Planning to leave from the wakefield side of point judith sometime before dark and return whenever.   I'll be solo unless someone wants to hop on.  Just pluck me out of the water if I fall in.  ;)

Boat is a 35' downeast with full electronics and safety gear for canyon trips, but you will be close enough to swim to shore regardless (just kidding about the swimming part).

Same stomping grounds as the frances fleet.  We will rub shoulders with them if they are out.

Don't really care if the squid are there personally, I just want to get out and try.

Wish we were closer. Would take you up on the offer. We're sure you'll get plenty of takers. Good luck.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 

#104 Hobodave45

Hobodave45

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,fishing,hiking,kayaking, and shooting.

Posted 16 June 2018 - 04:12 AM

I would take you up to Greg, but I'm on call and in CT so can't venture that far. Good luck though, and let us know how you make out! Canyon trip... Hmmmm. I have some gear suited for that trip. Definately let me know if you ever go offshore and need a hand.

#105 greg ct

greg ct

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 June 2018 - 06:07 AM

I would take you up to Greg, but I'm on call and in CT so can't venture that far. Good luck though, and let us know how you make out! Canyon trip... Hmmmm. I have some gear suited for that trip. Definately let me know if you ever go offshore and need a hand.

I'm almost always looking for crew.  Send me your contact info.

#106 greg ct

greg ct

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:35 PM

This is pretty amusing.  It's an underwater cam watching some squid jigs being trolled along the bottom.  The music makes it.

https://www.facebook...78389095692258/

I never suspected they would hit the front part of a jig only.  Guess that's why you need to set the hook......

Edited by greg ct, 18 June 2018 - 11:36 PM.

#107 alaskanaturally

alaskanaturally

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, mushrooming, wild food gathering, prospecting for minerals, traveling, gardening and orcharding and cultivation for wildlife.

Posted Yesterday, 01:03 AM

This is pretty amusing.  It's an underwater cam watching some squid jigs being trolled along the bottom.  The music makes it.

I never suspected they would hit the front part of a jig only.  Guess that's why you need to set the hook......

I was just about to post that. It's really instructive. It shows that you have to hit fast and hard. Also, a smaller jig would have helped in this situation.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 

#108 greg ct

greg ct

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:05 AM

I was just about to post that. It's really instructive. It shows that you have to hit fast and hard. Also, a smaller jig would have helped in this situation.

I found a while ago that smaller lures worked better.  Ny goto is yozuri mini or it's equiv in the japanese only packages.

#109 alaskanaturally

alaskanaturally

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:57 AM

I found a while ago that smaller lures worked better.  Ny goto is yozuri mini or it's equiv in the japanese only packages.

Yes. Smaller the better in our opinion. However, occasionally only the large ones would work. Saw that one night this spring at GIB. They would not hit our small jigs while other were doing real well on the large Yo Zuris. Change over and we started to catch them. One has to be flexible.

Martin and Ruta

#110 Gilligan

Gilligan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 AM

Squid only hitting the front of the jig is not really true. Sometimes they do, but I have watched thousands of them take my jig from the back. Tease the crap out of one, he/she gets stupid, comes up from behind, I see the tentacles reach out, as soon as they touch the jig just reel harder and another squid in the bucket.  Other times I see my jig going sideways with the hooks already in him, strike and another one bites the dust. I often cast and retrieve (dock fishing) never letting the jig totally stop or sink more than three feet with slight slow downs in retrieve and they take it from behind trying to catch up to it. I probably cast and retrieve more than straight vertical jig, but again, I mostly fish docks or sometimes from shore, seldom bridges or boats. Of course if they are thick and straight down I just drop and jig vertically, even then I often watch them grab it from behind as it ascends, and sometimes hit it on the way down whence they will hit the front of the jig.

Edited by Gilligan, Yesterday, 11:38 AM.