The world's biggest, nicest and most helpful squid fishing community!!

Photo
- - - - -

Giant Squid On Display At London Museum

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

Giant squid (Archie) goes on display - The Natural History Museum, London
28 Feb 2006
A giant squid, Architeuthis dux, was recently put on display at the London Natural History Museum's Darwin Centre tank room.

The 8.62-metre squid, called Archie, was caught off the coast of the Falkland Islands in March 2004.

Archie is not the largest specimen ever caught, that record belongs to an 18.5-metre specimen caught in Island Bay, New Zealand in 1880. Archie was caught live and is almost complete making it a very important specimen for research. Initial investigations suggest that Archie is female although this will be confirmed by future study.

The final home for 'Archie' is a specially made acrylic tank filled with a 10 per cent solution of formol-saline as a preservative. The tank was constructed in California by Casco Ltd., the people who made the tanks for Damien Hirsts' various artworks of animals in formaldehyde. The tank is 9 metres and 45 centimetres long and stands on a 1-metre stainless steel stand so that the giant squid can be viewed from any angle.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk.../news_5255.html

Attached Thumbnails

• squid_people_370_7802_1.jpg

#2 poodge

poodge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:anything to do with catching fish, music, basketball and drumming.

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:18 AM

thats awesome! :) how big is the one at the melbourne aquarium?
pj
happy fishing,
pj

#3 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

the melbourne squid frozen in an ice block (at the melbourne aquarium) was a tiny 7 metres long...!!!! :)

http://www.squidfish...p?showtopic=939