Daily Limits May Be Needed For Giant Humboldt Squid

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 05 March 2006 - 01:00 PM

Daily limits may be needed for giant Humboldt squid

Peter Ottesen of "The Record", CA recently published a piece on 27 Feb 2006 regarding the large catches of humboldt squid being taken by some recreational anglers and he explained that there is now a call (from both charter boat skippers and sport anglers) for dailly catch limits.

"How many of these huge squid do you need," asked Roger Thomas, a charter boat skipper and president of the Golden Gate Fishermen's Association. "Once we get three squid per angler, we pull up and head home. I hear some boats are allowing passengers to catch upwards of 15 to 17 squid, but that seems excessive, to me. They couldn't possibly eat all of them."

Giant squid trips run out of Monterey, Half Moon Bay, Emeryville and Bodega Bay and cost between $75 and $80 per angler. They've taken on greater prominence since salmon and rockfish seasons won't open until April 18 and July 1, respectively.

http://www.recordnet.../602270310/1004