Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Ri 2016 Squid Season
Drove the causeway yesterday, nothing going on..... 

Thanks

Capt. Eric Thomas

www.teezer77.com
We're planing on making a trip up there, 500 miles, in about two weeks. Sounds like squiding off the bridge is real zoo. Are there any other piers or bridges where those critters can be caught? Are there any head boats that target them?  Do squid bite during the day?

One other question: Sounds like we'll need a light. What do you guys suggest?

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Inks up yet?
Quote:We're planing on making a trip up there, 500 miles, in about two weeks. Sounds like squiding off the bridge is real zoo. Are there any other piers or bridges where those critters can be caught? Are there any head boats that target them?  Do squid bite during the day?

Head boat. Francesfleet targets them out of galilee ri. But its usually later in the season.

If your looking to make the best bang for your money and time i would highly recommend capt dom of coastal charters and capt jeff of bad influence. I find a charter more enjoying than a party boat if distance and time is limited.

Really its more about going home with more than one bucket of squid. Good luck.
You can catch during the day, at least if you can catch the bite off the coast of southern mass. That's where Dom will go.
If anyone is looking for a charter in Hyannis feel free to call me. I'm good friends with Jeff. Just starting up. 508 717 4322
Quote:We're planing on making a trip up there, 500 miles, in about two weeks. Sounds like squiding off the bridge is real zoo. Are there any other piers or bridges where those critters can be caught? Are there any head boats that target them?  Do squid bite during the day?

There is plenty of space on the GI causeway (plus the sea wall and the other stone pier) to catch squid. Parking, on the other hand... They push in all over Narragansett Bay, into coves and harbors, under docks and bridges and everywhere else you could imagine them. The big advantage of the GI causeway is that you don't really need a light unless it's early in the season when no one is really fishing. There's always someone there with lights when the squid are running. There are many other places (Jamestown, Bristol, Other Newport spots) to catch squid. If you go to one of those places, though, you will likely need a light to attract a bait ball to bring the squid in.  If you have a kayak or a boat, you have the big advantage of going where the squid are. You cruise around until you see squid on the fish finder and drop your jigs. That's the best way to get them in the daylight too, so I have heard.
I went to Jamestown DEM last weekend and got nothing. But Lucky Bait has these awesome bait sticks. Super cheap and waterproof, all custom made. Call Manny at 401 247 2223 tell him ATGrimaldi sent you from squidfish.net
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the info. We appreciate it. Hopefully we'll be up there between 10-15 May.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Words are in, they at Newport.

Yes squid are in.caught half a bucket last night at a private dock in newport
I'll be squid hunting on the boat tomorrow hopefully I'll return with good news.
I went Friday and got 6 in 3 hours and was the high hook that I saw.  I was at the GI bridge.

I was at Jamestown Friday night for 4 hours got 1 squid.  Did see about 10 squids swimming around, with lots of bait fish.  I think by next weekend it should be good. Happy Squid Fishing

Went to  Newport today fished all day caught  1 squid  did not see anyone else catch any, some said they caught some over the weekend , hit or miss . Enviromental police stopped and checked for license  also.

I thought you didn't need a license for cephalopods?  I always get one, so just curious......

Quote:I thought you didn't need a license for cephalopods?  I always get one, so just curious......
They changed the law  2years ago, now you do, over 60 its free,  Mass. is  10.00 and good for Ri conn. Nh
Quote:They changed the law  2years ago, now you do, over 60 its free,  Mass. is  10.00 and good for Ri conn. Nh
Also, good for NY and Me. If you are over 65, you can get a free Ma. license.
Martin and Ruta

You don't need one for CT
They should be out there on the weekends they will hit their fine quota

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2016 Fall Squid Run... George5039 8 3,537 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Gilligan
  Woods Hole 2016 season Tranjasont 5 2,805 24-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Last Post: vito
  Newport Ri 2015 Squid Season glen 462 104,354 12-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Last Post: glen