Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Ri 2015 Squid Season
Hi everyone,

Please post about the 2015 season for Newport - Rhode Island in this thread.

Thanks and happy squidding!

Cheers, Glen

Happy new year, my fellow squidders! Looking forward to a great season!
I was informed there are already signs of squid at the cauaeway.
Time to start thinking about squid... OK, maybe a little early, but still... Water temps off Block Island are 38 degrees and in the Bay are finally on the upturn at a balmy 36 degrees. With air temperatures predicted to be in the mid/upper 40s for the next couple weeks, so I'm willing to say that the water will start warming as well. With any luck, this warming will increase and we will be out jigging by the end of next month. With even more luck, we will see the squid come in like they did last year. If I get a chance this Weekend, I'm going to pull my tackle boxes and rods out, clean and organize and re-spool any reels which need new line. Who's with me?

Hello, I'm new to this forum.  I'm still learn the rope of jigging for squid but hope i can learn more from the fellow member.

Thanks,

Quote:Hello, I'm new to this forum.  I'm still learn the rope of jigging for squid but hope i can learn more from the fellow member.

Thanks,

There are a lot of variables to consider, such as water temp., moon, tide, type of jig, color of jig, glow jig or not, size of jig, single slow jig vs. multiple short rapid jigs in succession, single vs. double jigs on droppers, and a bunch of other things. Of course, you don't really need to think about it that much as a beginner. What you need are squid jigs, some kind of rod/reel, and squid in the water directly below or in front of you, preferably with some broad, bright light to attract some bait. If you go to a popular spot for squid (such as the Goat Island Causeway in Newport), you will see hundreds of people doing some variation of the same thing. If you move into an open spot there with a jig on the end of your line and drop it to the bottom, chances are pretty good that you will pull up some squid. Aside from that, there seem to be a few "trends" that get expressed here and there from time to time.

The cheap WalMart style jigs will catch squid when they are around in force, but mostly they are great at catching the bottom. The Yozuris are available lots of places (Bennys behind the register, lots of tackle shops, etc.). They're decent but are a little large, compared to our typical bait which the squid are chasing. However, in my opinion, they are easier to use because they are heavier. Last year, on a breezy night, I couldn't get my jig to the water mid-tide before it blew well under the GI causeway before hitting the water. The issue with heavier jigs is that, general consensus is that squid hit on the fall/sink. If you lift the jig up off the bottom, and it slowly sinks back down, you have a bit of time for the squid to hit. The bigger Yozuri jigs drop to the bottom faster, therefore, give less time for the squid to hit. Which brings us to the smaller class of prawn-style jigs which more closely resemble the prominent bait... The Yamashitas, Martinettis, etc. Usually, these aren't available anywhere other than tackle shops near where squid are caught. And usually, a given shop will only have one or two brands in a couple of colors. They are usually available in the 1.0-2.5 size. Typically, they are 3 times the price of the Yozuris ($15 vs. $5). If you go someplace with a bigger selection or go for the mail-order route, you will find every size, color and sinking rate. Then, if you are really serious (or seriously addicted), there is the Japanese/Australian import jigs. These are usually $30 and up and many can only be purchased in-Country (you need a friend in Japan to buy them and send them to you) or purchased from a tackle shop in Australia which buys them and ships them worldwide. In addition to the costs, the time it takes for the company to ship them to you isn't all that fast. So you shouldn't expect to order on a Wed. and take them jigging on a Sat. night.

As for color... I'm convinced that this is more about personal preference than anything else. Most will say, if you are only buying a couple jigs and only plan to go out once or twice in a season, you should opt for orange or pink. Many will say, orange and pink are good for night jigging and green and blue are good for daytime jigging. I've seen people catching at night with every color of the rainbow and every color in-between, light-up jigs, glow jigs, metallic, translucent, etc. If you have a choice, I would probably get at least 2 or 3 jigs in at least 2 colors.

For a rod/reel combo, there are super-expensive, custom made rods and reels that are designed specifically for squid jigging. I have no experience with them. Just about any sensitive rod/reel combo will work adequately. I, personally, use a freshwater rod and a small spinning reel spooled with 8 lb. fluorocarbon line. It's nice because I can fit it, a bucket, and a small tackle box of jigs in my small trunk all season. Unless you're exclusively a tuna/shark fisherman, I'm sure whatever you have will work well enough, but, if you have a choice, lighter is probably better. BTW, I don't expect to ever catch a squid which will break 8 lb. test. My reason using that is because, in the event of a bottom snag, there is a better chance that I could get the jig free with 8 lb. vs. 2 lb. line.

Last, and most importantly, in order to catch squid, you need squid to be in the area or you need a boat to go find them. I have it on good authority that, with a boat, you can put into Newport Harbor with a fish finder, find the squid, turn on your lights, drop your jigs and start pulling them up. Frances Fleet and other charter boats offers squid trips if you want to go that route. That said, I've never gone squid jigging on a boat before. So, if you're limited to shore, the only option is to go to the squiddy places (docks, piers, bridges, etc.) when the squid should be around (primarily May & June, but mid/late Apr. to mid/late Nov.). You can watch the fishing reports and, most importantly, read here. However, there is one "fee" for reading here. If you go to the water and find some squid, post a report. Everyone knows where the traditional squid spots are, so there is no issue with spot burning or any of that nonsense that you find on other fishing boards. Sure, if you have special access to a secret spot where you catch 15 gallons of squid in 3 hours, feel free to keep the spot to yourself. However, if you catch 2 dozen squid on the Goat Island Causeway or over in Jamestown, please share with the rest of us so that we can hit the water. Smile
^^^^^ Informative post thanks for sharing
I hope no body stealing my tackle box this year.
BillG, excellent response.  I will add a few tidbits about boat squidding since that's how I fish. 

Party boats like the Frances Fleet out of Point Judith are an excellent way to learn (mates and other fisherman are happy to help) and a nice way to spend a spring evening.  The frances Fleet boat will usually leave the dock around 7pm th-su depending on how strong the run is.  They may only run Fri-Sat to start, and then add nights when it picks up.  Usually, they head in around midnight.  When the squid are in, it's combat fishing.  You will be elbow to elbow with other fisherman and tangles will unfortunately occur - but that will happen on shore as well.

The advantage the boats have is they can move around and find the squiddies, they have plenty of bright lights, and they have mates tossing chum.  On a good night, you can fill a 5 gallon bucket.

The Frances fleet used to fish over by the Newport bridge when the fishing off the beach was slow, but I haven't seen them do that in years.  Nowadays they patrol the beaches just west of point judith.  Their are usually plenty of squid there though, so it gives you more fishing time and keeps costs down.  They used to charge about $50 a head.  Not sure about current pricing.  You can buy jigs from them or use your own.

If you don't want to put up with the party boat crowds, you can also take a charter.  Not as bad as you think, many do open boat trips and it is just slightly higher than the party boat rate.

Fishing from the boat is very similar to shore, except almost no chance to break a lure off on the bottom.  You will be in 30-50 feet of water, and the squid won't (usually) be on the bottom.   You may need an assist weight if the current is ripping (1 oz is fine).  But otherwise, you are just jigging (called squidding) the upper water column.

You do have to put up with crappy weather though.  Seems like April through May is one constant blow and choppy seas.   That gives the party boats an edge.   Bigger boats are more stable and you can go into a heated cabin to warm up.
I checked out a spot tonight for ink and found none, but there was small shrimp and other bait in the water.  a good sign.

- ATG

I want to help other member but I just don't want to seeing too many ppl showing up ruin our spot.

just using PM if you want to help other member or want to get some report, just don't be a big mouth.

Remember, too many ppl, too many problem.
Good advice SquidderBruce
Quote:I want to help other member but I just don't want to seeing too many ppl showing up ruin our spot.

just using PM if you want to help other member or want to get some report, just don't be a big mouth.

The problem is... I am convinced that people who post here are absolutely not the issue and people who read here are probably not the issue either. As such, I'd rather bring people into the fold and have them feel a sense of community and ownership of our squidding resource. That way, they treat it with respect and consideration. Also, if we keep "ink up" posts and catch reports to PM only, we can't all share in the resource which this forum (and the people who frequent it) represents. If I were protecting my secret spot for fluke or stripers, sure. Protecting the most well known squid location in the World during peak squid season? Not so much. I vote (do I get a vote?) that we share and share alike.
Quote:I want to help other member but I just don't want to seeing too many ppl showing up ruin our spot.

We all come here for one reason,if that bothers you then why are you here adding anything or taking anything to/from this forum.I understand keeping spots amongst friends,but complaining about it on the INTERNET is a complete oxymoron.
Quote: 

The problem is... I am convinced that people who post here are absolutely not the issue and people who read here are probably not the issue either. As such, I'd rather bring people into the fold and have them feel a sense of community and ownership of our squidding resource. That way, they treat it with respect and consideration. Also, if we keep "ink up" posts and catch reports to PM only, we can't all share in the resource which this forum (and the people who frequent it) represents. If I were protecting my secret spot for fluke or stripers, sure. Protecting the most well known squid location in the World during peak squid season? Not so much. I vote (do I get a vote?) that we share and share alike.
Well said BillG
Hello.  I am new to posting in this forum, but I do frequently check out the reports on here.  I appreciate everyone that contributed in the whereabouts of the squids.  It saves me time and gas.  If there are no reports posted here, I don't think anyone would visit or communicate with one another.  And there would be no squid forum.  

There is no way to stop someone from littering eventhough most spots do have trash barrels.  Shame on them!  As a witness, we should inform them to keep the place clean.  Hopefully it is their first and last time at that spot.  Since it is our frequent spot, we can keep the place clean and report them to dem as a final resolve.  You know how good dem is with their binoculars.  This is my opinion and rambling.  I am sure many do not agree with me.

As for report, I was out on the weekend and they are not in(one particular location).

Hi everyone. I am so new to this forum. I have never gone squid fishing before and it sounds interesting to me from a friend. My friend has not been there for a long time so h would not remember how to get there. Please anyone can share a good spot and when it starts. Thanks so much
Excellent respond BillG.  I live far and would like to get some information before driving 2 hrs down to Newport.  This forum is great for new people that wants to learn how to squid fishing and get great advice.  You don't have to shared where you stand, it will be great to know what area they are coming in.  I've seen all type of people, some are friendly and helpful other are just mad rude.  Shared what you want, anything is better than nothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newport Ri 2016 Squid Season glen 223 75,393 08-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  North Shore Squid - 2015 simpleskillz 30 8,646 03-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Last Post: battam
  10-22-2015 Green Port nycposer 0 1,790 29-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Last Post: nycposer