Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Ri 2016 Squid Season
Hi everyone,

Please post about the 2016 season for Newport - Rhode Island in this thread.

Thanks and happy squidding!

Cheers, Glen

Water temps. 45.5 and falling. Just 4 or 5 more months until squidding time!

What's the good word???? Any one try yet??
I think is too early but is getting closer. what is the water temperature? 

Way way too early!! Action doesn't usually get going until mid may.

Water temps are already warming. Currently, they're at 41 degrees in Newport. The Block Island buoy seems to have gone offline, but the Montauk one is showing 43 and Nantucket is showing 45. Assuming we don't have a terrible middle/late Spring, I think we are in for an early squidding season. Now, the big question is, will this be like last year where they hit hard in Mass. or the year before where they hit hard in Newport or the year before that where they didn't hit anywhere at all until the Fall?

Id be trying before may for sure for the big tubes....I think early as well
The water out at the canyon is 50's degrees so it wont be long now.  My guess is 2nd or 3 week of April.

I thing mid-April we going to have action . how strong light do you use?? 1000, 2000, 3000 lumen , more than that??

I used 2 - 300W LED light so equal to about 40,000 lumens and the squid like it.

that's a lot of light power.!!!
At 40,000 Lumen the squids will jump up to your boat and sleep with you. That's some insane light power. Fatal attraction.
Quote:I used 2 - 300W LED light so equal to about 40,000 lumens and the squid like it.

Are you using all that light from a dock or bridge, or from a boat??
I have two light, one each side of the boat.  The light really attract the squid, they go up near the light.

News from a co-worker of mine is that some squid was caught last night from Jamestown. I have no confirmation, but I gets the blood moving. Hope to be out soon. If I get anything confirmed I will post
Gotta be an early season this year. Lets hope its better than the previous few years.

Squid: The other other OTHER white meat
Can anyone suggest any piers or bridges where we may encounter a few squid. We'll be in the area in a few weeks. Anywhere in NY, Ct, Ma or RI.

Got hooked on squid fishing in Tasmania last winter and miss it now that we're back in the US. So happy to hear there are some doing it.

any news ?? anybody been out or try ???
Water temperature 46F around the mouth of the Bay today.      Going fishing soon.

Quote:Can anyone suggest any piers or bridges where we may encounter a few squid. We'll be in the area in a few weeks. Anywhere in NY, Ct, Ma or RI.

Got hooked on squid fishing in Tasmania last winter and miss it now that we're back in the US. So happy to hear there are some doing it.
 Despite all the hopeful squidders here who think the warm winter will bring early squidding I doubt it will start until at least mid May-June as it usually does. But I have caught them in Stonington CT and Newport is probably the largest squid hunting ground for shore bound anglers, then on up to Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard and on up to Boston. You just need to watch this thread and the one for Hyannis and you should get good reports on exactly where they are when they come in. Tasmania sounds like fun!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2016 Fall Squid Run... George5039 8 3,530 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Gilligan
  Woods Hole 2016 season Tranjasont 5 2,801 24-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Last Post: vito
  Newport Ri 2015 Squid Season glen 462 104,148 12-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Last Post: glen