Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season
Quote:Hi Bill, I forgot to add this to my last posting ... if I do see any herring, is there a preferred method (lure? bait?) to use when fishing for them? Thanks again!

You use a sabiki rig to catch sea herring. I've also caught them on small glow mirror spoons too.
Thanks Bill. I have a small Kastmaster that I use to catch snappers ... do you think the herring will hit it? ... and do you catch them during the day or at night? Also, would a regular salt water fishing license suffice for herring fishing, or is a separate license required?
Guys, I hope you all had a great holiday! Listen, I'm back in RI this weekend (12/27 and 12/28) ... I was thinking about going to Jamestown for squid, but need to know: (a) if it's simply way too late (and a waste of time) or if they're still being caught (from shore, not boat); and (b ) if they are still around, what is the best time of day (or night) to catch them?
The herring are Atlantic Herring, also known as sea herring. They are saltwater fish so a saltwater license is exactly what you need. I don't know if they will hit a small Kastmaster. Their mouths are really small. I caught one on a tiny freshwater spoon, though, so it's not impossible. I haven't heard of anyone catching from shore in a while. Frances Fleet posted a report a week or so ago where people would jig up a squid and use it to catch cod, so it's possible they are still reachable from shore. The only way to know is by getting out there. However, it is entirely likely that you will freeze and come away empty handed.
This is very helpful. Thank you very much Bill, I will try to get out there again for squid soon.
Hi everyone, I closing this thread and creating a new one for 2015 here:

http://www.squidfish.net/forums/index.ph...id-season/

Happy squidding!

Cheers, Glen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newport Ri 2016 Squid Season glen 223 75,692 08-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  Newport Ri 2015 Squid Season glen 462 104,355 12-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Last Post: glen
  Stonington, CT 2014 Squid Season BlueKayak 29 8,445 14-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Last Post: CoastalLifePhotography