Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Squid
So what are the squidders up to these days? I went to the canyon two week ago for tuna and only caught squid at night, LOL. I was happy with that and the boat nicknamed me the "squidman". I caught alot and they were impressed how I was catching them every cast. Thanks for the help guys.

How did you fry the squid in the picture above? I didnt do so good, guess it was too wet and it exploded all over. Do you have a salt and pepper squid receipe?

Mike
Can you tell me where 'Fish tail' charter boat is?  I have been wanting to go squid fishing, if you know the price and schedule it would be great.  TY

i need more info for squid fishing pls..ty

Captree. They go Friday and Saturday night.
I have heard of some guys from Queens going to Jones Beach Field 10 pier and doing well in April   can anyone comment on this   thank you   Mark

April sounds pretty early for squid, usually don't see any in CT, RI, or MA until late may. Please let us know if any are to be caught at the mentioned location at any time. I'd love to find them as close as Jones Beach since the most prolific LI spot I know of is Greenport.

I agree April is too early but it was a warm winter. Once in a blue moon you hear that they come in the bay in May or June but disappear quick. You can get them at the ocean reefs at night from like May thru Sept. Party boats out of captree go sometimes.
I tried, foolishly and anxiously, this weekend. Nothing yet. Probably too cold still.
Thanks for the update
Quote:I tried, foolishly and anxiously, this weekend. Nothing yet. Probably too cold still.
 Thanks for the news. Did you try Jones and froma dock or did you go in a boat? I really doubt they will be around for another month, but somebody has to be the first to find them would be nice if it happens early and strong.
I agree, they usually come around in end of May or June. I wouldnt waste my time in the bay it is so rare and so short when they arrive. I havent seen squid at the Jone piers, only at the bridges but doesnt mean it cant happen. I heard they came in Merrick bay a few years back.

You are much better off at the 6 mile reefs (60'+ h20) in the ocean while chumming. I have a 22' boat. Need willing crew to go on a perfect calm night. No one I know is willing to loose sleep over squid.

Id also be up to going to a party boat at Rhode Island, which should happen in the next month or two. I heard Greenport is closed to public now.
 Hi Crabby, thanks for the info. I will likely be on Marta's Vineyard last week May-first week of June. Going up for a friend's wedding and hope to bang the squids there. I have done most of my squid fishing up there for the last forty years and know the game well there. If they are around where you mention when I return I may take you up on a night trip. Do you get them to come up near the surface with lights? I have only caught them way offshore boat fishing and they were two foot tubes. I am really more of a dock squidder but I am retired and I can go anywhere at anytime for good action.

any action in greenport ny yet?
Can anyone confirm Greenport is closed to the public now? I live in Hicksville Long Island and was planning a trip to head out there sometime in the next 2 weeks. Want to make sure I can fish for squid before driving 2 hours there.
Quote:any action in greenport ny yet?
My dad just got a call from a friend who went out there Monday (May 2nd, 2016) he caught a little over 50 squid. He said it wasn't closed or anything, so I'll be heading out there tonight. Will report back tomorrow.
hi. leftside of railroad station dock, where peconic star is, is not closed. its open to public. you can easily find where it is. there are lots of lights and people.

Anyone know if squid can be caught in Jamaica Bay (near the Howard Beach area)?

I've heard from bait shops and read from reports that squid appear in the bay (but usually these reports are just related to the striper season).

It could happen but I havent heard anything.
New York Times reporter was down on the dock in greenport last night. She was preparing for a piece on squid fishing in the science section. Pretty cool that she talked to us and I even ended up translating some Korean/English for her. Probably will be in the paper soon....hopefully it doesnt get too much more crowded though.
Pulled up a fluke last night, that looked like it was scarfing down a squid on a jig....talk about a meta night

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York squid scene Calamariaddict 20 5,462 23-08-2019, 02:45 AM
Last Post: BillHoo
  New York General Discussion SquidYouNot 2 2,385 19-05-2015, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Gilligan