Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Squid
Hi all. New to the forum. My first post. I'm in the Huntington area. Bait is only now beginning to show at the docks around here. Have made a few brief tries for squid but no sign of any yet. Last year I fished local docks at night consistently from early May throughout the summer and they never showed until the third week of October. In 2015 there were a lot around in May and June under the dock lights but I hadn't caught the squid bug until the fall of that year!

This year I'm heavily into squid and determined to find new spots (besides Greenport and Huntington), master light eging during day as well as the night, and experiment with pursuing them from a kayak. 

Anything happens I'll share.

Fished Greenport again 5/11 and 5/12 had 12 and 4 . No great shakes. 4 hours jigging each night. Can't hit a good score, slow year so far. Best may be over already. Short spurt end of April better action.
too early end of may into june is best
too early end of may into june is best
Any recent news from Greenport? Fished there I week ago and only had 4. Heard blues in tearing everything up.
Quote:too early end of may into june is best
Sunday night. Fished 3 hours from 7-10. 2 others there. Caught 1 small squid. Had to leave early bc of work but while I was there didnt see anyone else catch anything.
All I get is around 4 when I fish there too. Crabby says better in late may June but is this from experience? Everything I've seen and heard indicates it should be over by now.
Quote:Hi all. New to the forum. My first post. I'm in the Huntington area. Bait is only now beginning to show at the docks around here. Have made a few brief tries for squid but no sign of any yet. Last year I fished local docks at night consistently from early May throughout the summer and they never showed until the third week of October. In 2015 there were a lot around in May and June under the dock lights but I hadn't caught the squid bug until the fall of that year!

This year I'm heavily into squid and determined to find new spots (besides Greenport and Huntington), master light eging during day as well as the night, and experiment with pursuing them from a kayak. 

Anything happens I'll share.
Thank you for the information, I thought they only show up at Hungtinton only at Fall, but I do not expect to see them in the May or June

in the Hungtinton. 
I know there are are squid around the Coney Island Pier during the summer, but not many people fish for them......Maybe I will bring my squid jigs and try after a Cyclones game this year.

Thanks for the info. Another spot I think may be worth a shot is the magnolia pier in Long Beach. Just a thought..
Thanks for the info. Another spot I think may be worth a shot is the magnolia pier in Long Beach. Just a thought..
If you have a boat you can catch squid all summer long at the 60' reefs or deeper. Just set out a bunker chum slick and shine lights in the water.
Anyone know open boat for squid?

I went to greenport few days ago but saw only one squid.
Went last night from 9pm to about 1:30am. Got 1 small squid within 5 minutes. The guy next to me got 2 I believe. After that nothing for the rest of the night.
Hey Pat were you at Greenport? I was planning one last shot next weekend which will be first week in June. May not be worth it. Maybe I'm better off trying Shinnecock commercial dock or ocean in a boat by me. Thanks for the report.
Yes, greenport. Lots of fluke and bunker tho!
Hey Pat fished Greenport Sat. Night 6/3. Caught 2 right away so I think great banner night. Next 3 hours only one more. Can't seem to catch more thsn 3-4 . Tons of bunker actually getting in the way of my line and hard to get around them to jig. May be over!!! Wait for fall.
I think they are all scattered in the bay.......

Any one been out?! I haven't been able to get out for 2 weeeks now. I may try on my boat when I can get out to ocean and see if I luck into a school in the deep. Other than that, looks like waiting for the fall run. Wish we were in Australia where can go out any given day on a boat and jig up a dozen huge squid. Just not a big fishery here.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New York squid scene Calamariaddict 20 5,527 23-08-2019, 02:45 AM
Last Post: BillHoo
  New York General Discussion SquidYouNot 2 2,399 19-05-2015, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Gilligan