Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season
Anyone checking tonight?? In years past they have almost always been in by now.
I thought about going out last night to check for herring. Does that count? Smile Looking back at old threads, it seems like they hit the Cape/Islands a week or two before they show up in Newport. Looking at other fishing reports, it seems like everything is late. Schoolie bass are not here yet but they are in down in Jersey. The 50 degree water is still South of Block Island, so I would give it another week or two at least before they start showing up on the Cape/Islands and another week or two after that for Newport. So maybe Mother's Day Weekend would be a good time to start checking in earnest.

Quote:I thought about going out last night to check for herring. Does that count? Smile Looking back at old threads, it seems like they hit the Cape/Islands a week or two before they show up in Newport. Looking at other fishing reports, it seems like everything is late. Schoolie bass are not here yet but they are in down in Jersey. The 50 degree water is still South of Block Island, so I would give it another week or two at least before they start showing up on the Cape/Islands and another week or two after that for Newport. So maybe Mother's Day Weekend would be a good time to start checking in earnest.
There is herring run in middleboro, plenty of them.
 I have to disagree with Anthony and 1tym about squid only hitting on the sink. I fish mostly the vinyard  and have slain them by casting out as far as I can, letting it sink for a short second or two and then start a slow retrieve back, and they hit them hard while the jig is coming back on the retrieve. This works great when they are near the surface. I have also hit them well by letting the jig sink all the way down and then verrrry slowly crank the jig back up and they usually hit it just before it makes the surface. This has seemed to get their attention when they are finicky. I have caught hundreds of them on the retrieve and they fairly well hook themselves well on the steadily moving jig. I mostly use the older wooden body Martinettis which are sadly no longer available, best commercially made jig I have ever used other than the original Chokka jig in size 1.5 or 2.0. If anybody has a stash of these jigs with the string in the front and wants to part with them I'd be interested. I get rid of the string and install a small stainless screw eye. A few years back I started using a small shiny brass snap at the end of my line to make it easier for my old eyes to change jigs on four pound test and for some reason it seems to give the jig a better action, and I outfished my buddies using the same jig. Now most of my buddies also use the tiny snap. Also for you guys who use and like the Martinettis it is a lot cheaper to order them from Jon at squid jig warehouse online. He usually gives great deals on larger orders, you can get them for the same price the dealers pay for them. If you call him up and ask for a good price on say fifty jigs he really has some great deals.

I have used this method with the same jigs and 4lb test. I only have three of these jigs left and wish they still made them with the red string. They work very well and cover a large area. The only difference is when I slowly retrieve the jig I pause every once in a while for about two seconds. I pick up squid when I start the retrieve again. They grab it when it drops just for those few seconds. Before I used a pause I was catching squid at the end of the retrieve but not as often.

No squid at canal tonight.
Quote:Anyone checking tonight?? In years past they have almost always been in by now.
I'll be in Newport tomorrow and will give it a shot just because I'll be there. Looking for inkstains first.
Newport water temp is 45.7. End of the week or next?

Newport 48.6

The pink flowers are in bloom.

A little birdie told me.

Upon a time.

Fin.
Anyone on Facebook, check out Cape Cod Squid Squad. There are reports for GI as well as the C.C. Canal. Very friendly bunch of guys and girls.
[Image: 54297976.jpg]

G.I.S.S. Member #002
No Squid at Jamestown last night

Newport   46.6    going down again instead of up.

I just got back from Lucky Bait in Warren RI and they have a fresh stock of Yamashita Range HUnter and other model jigs not to mention the fav plastic ones of last year.  Get them while they last.

- ATG

I am going to try in front of Sakonet point by boat soon, it's a scary place w/ the fish traps out, but a day trip should cure that.

For some reason, many different species are found in those traps EARLY !!  Hopefully the inkers will be thick.

Anyone ever try this ?

Newport = 44.4  its going down like winters coming back.  I had enough.

I take it as a good sign. The SST is a lot like 1993. That means the squid will act like 1993, right? Smile On a plus note, the temperature is dropping due to mixing. That means when they come in, they should really come in, unlike last Spring. Time will tell though. Curiosity question though, anyone hear of anyone trying on the Vineyard?
Went to canal last on the perfect slack/ebb current. No moon TONS of schooling baitfish... Not a single squid. Had an aquarium thermometer and water temp was 51 from where I was standing. WTF
Went to the GI bridge and jamestown with no squid either location.  I spoke to one guy ont he bridge and he said he wasn't catching anything.  He was the only one I saw fishing.  Sad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newport Ri 2016 Squid Season glen 223 75,486 08-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  Newport Ri 2015 Squid Season glen 462 104,148 12-01-2016, 11:11 PM
Last Post: glen
  Stonington, CT 2014 Squid Season BlueKayak 29 8,438 14-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Last Post: CoastalLifePhotography