Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Massachusetts Squid Report
Starting a thread for the 2019 season.  Boat is in.  Hoping to get out in the next week or so.  Anyone out yet or have an idea of water temps in Buzzards or Vinyard/Nantucket sounds?

Nice, just finished my boat this weekend. As of this AM, upper Buzzards Bay is 45.5 and Hyannis is about the same. This weekends forecast looks wet.
Thanks for the sea temp update IAMFISH.  I have to travel to NJ this weekend due to a death in family but hope to get out soon after I get back.  I'm most familiar with squid 'hot spots' in Nantucket Sound in and around Osterville / Hyannis and am happy to share those in exchange for information about spots to try in Buzzards Bay since I hope to get a chance to run with a friend who's boat is in Mattapoisett right now.

i was told by a reliable captain there are scup in the buzzards bay.  Should be any day now.

I can confirm the scup in Buzzards Bay in the area of west island / Fairhaven side.  I will be watching for the squid confirmation in that area as well.

Planning on trying from sakonnet point and Newport after this weather passes.
I went out Sunday with my dad on our boat at Collier’s Ledge. Caught two squid. Big squid though. They should be here any day now, going to try again this upcoming weekend.
Gonna try this weekend if wind lays down.
Anyone seen the commercial boats out yet?

Asiansquidder,

Did you go out during the day or night?
Quote:I went out Sunday with my dad on our boat at Colliers Ledge. Caught two squid. Big squid though. They should be here any day now, going to try again this upcoming weekend.

Did you notice what the surface water temp was? Im seeing around 46-47 in the Sound and Woodhole is around 49.
Quote:Did you notice what the surface water temp was? Im seeing around 46-47 in the Sound and Woodhole is around 49.
I got to colliers ledge around 5 pm and fished it till around 9 pm. There were no commercial boats. Only boats out there were my boat and a friend's boat who left the same time we did. Water temp on the Garmin read 50.9. I was very surprised they were not in abundance yet with that temperature reading. However, the two squid were massive. I am assuming this weekend should be a hit!

Thanks man. Ill be out Sunday evening to scout around. Did you drift to see you can mark them on the sonar?
Quote:Thanks man. Ill be out Sunday evening to scout around. Did you drift to see you can mark them on the sonar?

I am going out Saturday night or Friday night, depending on the weather. I will let you know how it goes. And no, we anchored. However, we were marking something on the sonar, not sure exactly what, but they were not biting. 
Thanks. Theres reports that folks are catching them in RI in good numbers as of last night.
Been awhile since I tuned in, gonna see this weekend if theyre in. Got myself a brand new generator wanna try it out. I fish on land by the way. Probably stay for a couple, forecast saying wind.
Quote:Thanks. Theres reports that folks are catching them in RI in good numbers as of last night.

I'm going out by boat to Hyannis tonight. Will let you know how it goes. 
Nice, youll have nice weather tonight. This weekends weather looks horrible. Good luck bud.
Hi Asiansquidder.  Did you get out the other night by Hyannis and have any success close to shore or farther out?

Saw the draggers out near Craigville Hyannis area between the wind and rain haven't got out - they must be around now.

Quote:Hi Asiansquidder.  Did you get out the other night by Hyannis and have any success close to shore or farther out?

I went out last night (Sunday 4/28) and did really good right at collier ledge, the rockpile. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2019 Rhode Island Squid Report J'aimeSquid 144 40,615 30-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Last Post: IAMFISH
  North Shore Massachusetts Squid 2018 ReelSaltyAngler 57 13,253 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Last Post: briscola
  Winter Squid Run? Is there such a thing in Massachusetts Or Rhode Isla George5039 2 2,728 17-12-2016, 06:24 AM
Last Post: Gilligan