Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Rhode Island Squid Report
I hope your year is off to a good start!!! Hopefully the season will start early and will be epic!

Whos squidding tonight?? 😂😂😂
What are the bets? When will the squid come in? 

"What are the bets? When will the squid come in?"

Lol.

Last weekend I attended a SaltwaterCentral seminar as I wanted to compare with the Rutgers site I've been using.  So I've had a chance to look at recent water temps.  Cold, really cold and too early to tell when and more importantly where the warm water is coming to shore first.  Last year Nantucket Sound got warm water earlier than the Newport area.  I'll leave it to others to decide if that means anything as squid are hard to figure out.  Waiting for things to warm up a bit before starting to track water temps.

My call is that the first squid will be caught in Newport right around May 3rd unless we have some serious significant water warming happing really soon. 

What water temp are your folks waiting for?
50 and above

Newport water temps are currently around 43 degrees. Full moon is the 19th. I'm thinking I will shoot for somewhere around the 25th for my first try this season. I NEED squid! Semi-related side note. Has anyone wet a line looking for sea herring? Last time we had a mild winter like this, they were all over the place. I haven't heard any reports this year though.

Lots of reports of river herring entering their runs from CT to MA.

are you looking for blue back herring? If so they will be here in

a week or 2. Always right after shad get here.

Quote:Lots of reports of river herring entering their runs from CT to MA.

are you looking for blue back herring? If so they will be here in

a week or 2. Always right after shad get here.
Can't keep river herring. I was looking for sea herring. Some winters they are here Nov/Dec only. Other winters, they are here Oct-Jun.
I heard of squid being around block is that true
Any one have this week water temperature thanks
Is there any bait around besides river Herring
Fresh Calamari in about three weeks! Can not wait!
Newport water temp now up to 47 degrees!
Newport water temp is 48 degrees with above average air temperatures. That’s despite very little sun the last week or so! A couple of sunny days may bring in the tubes. Maybe a little earlier this year.
Anyone get out yet? I was hoping to get out this weekend to look for some tubes, but Friday looks like a washout and Saturday is supposed to be super windy.

50.4 degrees Boys!!!
Reliable reports say a few have arrived. Offshore commercial draggers near Block Island seeing good numbers. Also reports of some in Westerly and Stonington. Next week should be good! Will give it a try then and report.
Draggers on the beach are seeing "signs".

A couple hundred pounds a day.

The run is underway.

It's only going to get better.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rhode Island 2023 JonnyFishOn 86 16,335 06-11-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  2022 Rhode Island Squidding Intel J'aimeSquid 41 12,920 27-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: tropics
  2018 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 147 42,841 30-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SquidFox