Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Shore Massachusetts Squid 2018
Squid Report
Went out today in search of early pods. No squid yet its still chilly out here. Water temp is still around 43 degrees. But, May is around the corner so I will be coming out probably once a week. Ill keep you all posted if I seen any Ink stains.
Considering that there was a full moon last night and the water temperatures have been rising a bit. A few buoys read 47.3 and 47.8. I'm thinking about heading to the pier either tonight or tomorrow's high tides. I will keep you all up to date. 

On The Water - April 26th - Greater Boston. "There even was some success with squid but those loligos were little to say the least at a mere 2 to 3 inches! Obviously, there’s no calamari potential there, so most squid are slated for the freezer to be used as bait for black sea bass when the season opens next month." 

Thank You in advance, RealSaltyAngler!
May 2nd 11:30pm - 2am, No squid in my bucket yet. There were people down there but I didn't see any one catch anything and when they left I checked for ink stains to no avail. It should be any day now. Saw plenty of baitfish in the water; various species of minnows were schooling. A school of river herring also swam past under the lights. There were also plenty of small prawns hanging around the pilings. Sea worms were blowing out a milky substance when they got near each other so I can only assume they were mating on the surface. The water on the North Shore is really starting to look alive and Its almost time for squid! 

Thanks for sharing, ReelSaltyAngler.

I'm a bit surprise people are trying for squid in the North Shore already as Newport hasn't really started yet. I don't think water temp has exceed 50-55 yet, which usually triggers great squid presence.

Just wondering, when does squid usually show in North Shore: Salem / Danvers / Beverley areas?

Thats what I'm trying to figure out. There really Isn't much information on the specific time they initially show up in the area. Thats why I'm going out there weekly for a few hours and getting my jigs wet to see for myself and post a report. Ive been following the temperatures from Station 44029 Buoy off of Gloucester and its at around 50.2 today. The past few years that I have been squidding in the area its been around June and through out the whole summer. I don't mind going out early though to find a specific week, tide, water temp, moon phase and any correlations that might bring them in. My best guess at the moment is on the full moon, May 29th, at 12:16pm high tide . I think other people there just have squid fever and their fingers crossed like myself. 

Last year they were really late and spotty at best in June. While the previous year I was getting them one after the other. I think last year was just really bad but, I have high hopes for 2018! 

Good man (or woman) :-)

I know, you could be extremely scientific on all these weather related variables and hit the hot spot statistically, squid may choose otherwise.

Usually, migration (squid or fish) is triggered by what they eat (bait), and bait showing in number is triggered by water temp in general for spawning. It is a good sign that you are seeing the presence of bait fish. Squid should not be too far off.
Quote:Good man (or woman) :-)

I know, you could be extremely scientific on all these weather related variables and hit the hot spot statistically, squid may choose otherwise.

Usually, migration (squid or fish) is triggered by what they eat (bait), and bait showing in number is triggered by water temp in general for spawning. It is a good sign that you are seeing the presence of bait fish. Squid should not be too far off.
  Like this study on temperature and timing of squid migration?  http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/dow...1&type=pdf

Squid are tricky buggers to pin down as this seems a common theme in the studies I looked at.  Difficult to predict is said a lot.
May 7th 2:30pm - 4:00pm. No sign of squid today and no ink stains visible anywhere. The buoy off of Gloucester is reading at 48.7 degrees. Im going to be staying here until the top of the tide but as of yet there is nothing around. There are a few people here trying their luck for flounder, mackerel and crabs. Im still banking on my prediction for the full moon this month. As far as squid there are no early arrivals.
Flounder should be doing ok, my guess  Angel

Hi all. Im new to squid fishing. If anyone would care to show a newbie the ropes Id be grateful. Mostly north shore to maine.
No squid last night but there was plenty of Alewife, Sea Herring, and Mackerel. I took a video of it. basically anywhere I pointed my flashlight it was like this. Good news is that the sea is looking alive unlike last year.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etOeHHRT...z1Qo6z2ZdO

May 24th, Jigged up my first squid of the year. 14 inches. I saw another person catch one as well. Also got into a few mackerel. I was there for 3 hours so they are not quite fully in but its worth a shot if youre in the north shore area.
Congrats. 14" is a good size.

Might follow your lead in 2 weeks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxJQnuIk...e=youtu.be Stripers are in and squid season is almost upon us up here, caught these stripers on macks and fresh squid

Did anyone have any luck this week?

I’m all geared up with new jigs and a 2nd green led drop in light but high wind and waves put a damper on trying to go out on the boat.

I’ve had great success 2 summers ago but last summer was a disappointment and now my friends and I are itching for the squid to come back.
Quote:Did anyone have any luck this week?

I’m all geared up with new jigs and a 2nd green led drop in light but high wind and waves put a damper on trying to go out on the boat.

I’ve had great success 2 summers ago but last summer was a disappointment and now my friends and I are itching for the squid to come back.
.Tried at the Beverly fishing pier last night with a 8:30pm high. Saw only a few being caught about 9ish. I left shortly after that.

People have come and gone so haven't seen anything else being caught.

Lots and lots of rain bait on the water surface.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2018 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 147 42,843 30-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SquidFox
  2018 northeast fall run Gilligan 4 1,720 20-04-2021, 11:09 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  2019 Massachusetts Squid Report Reel Good Charters 109 23,188 25-05-2020, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Gilligan