Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 northeast fall run
Hi all, I would like to know how everybody else did this fall. I have fished squid on martha's Vineyard for the last 42 years, mostly from docks, and this fall was the worst squidding I have ever seen. There was no true "fall run" at all. Squid never came in thick except for a couple of days and they didn't hang around long so not many were caught. I fished the squid for almost thirty days every night and caught less than a hundred or a bit more. I usually catch closer to a thousand or more and freeze a bunch up for next year's bait. I have heard from a friend on Cape Cod that he had equally poor squidding, and the report from Newport seems like they didn't get many there either. I sure hope all the squid draggers didn't kill too many last spring. According to the Woods Hole Oceanographic Center the Woods Hole area is a major breeding ground for ilex squid (short tentacles) and that is supposedly a reason the Cape/Islands area sees such good squid action. Not this year! I sure hope the squid fishing isn't done for. Did everybody else have such a poor squid fall?

Might have to go to Newfoundland or Nova Scotia to catch squid. Our friends say they had a pretty good run this year.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Gilligan

Great topic! I have been going to the east end of the canal for the last 3-4 weeks and have had no luck.  Normally we get a few dozen very large squid after about 1-2 hours. This year we have caught one or two but there were no waves of them coming in.

Last year was also a bad year because the small fin squid were in. We caught decent numbers but they are very small and I do not think they cook up as good as the long fin. Not sure if it is worth getting out there but I may try one more time next week when the tides are better at the canal.

Same thing in New York guys. Its like this fall season never really started , and then it was over. It seemed like an earlier than usual start in mid October and when it should be good in November it died. Last year in November we had 25-50 nights most of the time and one week when 100+ was possible. I also heard it may be the commercial fleet that is wiping them out in Marthas Vineyard. Jeez thats a surprise right? They ruin it for all involved.
Has anyone heard from Alaskanaturally?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hyannis Run 2023 IAMFISH 29 5,376 10-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SquidFox
  2018 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 147 42,841 30-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SquidFox
  North Shore Massachusetts Squid 2018 ReelSaltyAngler 57 13,253 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Last Post: briscola