Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2018 Rhode Island Squid Report
Happy 2018! Stay healthy and happy!   Confusedq:

Happy new year !! I wish you a healthy and a good fishing season !!

Few more months boys!!!
Hello all:

I recently visited the GI bridge after many years.........(I used to fish squid there in the 70's-'95).

There is so much more build-up on the east side (marine facilities, etc.) that the water flow/tides must be compromised...

ok,

I used to catch squid of the GI bridge during the first two weeks of May for a number of years....  I would plan for two consecutive night trips and most of the time I

would get a bucket full the first night and have my bait for the year....

With all of the building that has taken place....is the GI bridge still a good squid jigging spot...or have other 'hotter" spots developed...?

Mike
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:1056]

For our Cephalopodamaniac friends in Rhode Island and everywhere else. We're on the Sea of Cortez in Mexico and caught this four pound octopus on a squid jig. Four delicious meals.
Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Welcome to a new season everyone!

I started looking at things. There's a full moon on Apr. 29th. The current water temperature in Newport is a chilly 39.6 degrees. My educated guess is that prime season should start somewhere on or about May 12th, if the water warms up a bit. If it stays cold, I'm going to say it will be delayed a full month and then we will have a cruddy Spring run.

BillG

Hey Guys, If anyone is interested in reading our articles about our fishing/squidding, travel adventures, drop us a PM with an email address.
Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Any one know of any charter captains who want to squid fish?

I'm looking for trips in the MA/RI areas.
Quote:I'm looking for trips in the MA/RI areas.
The primary issue is cost.  Figure about $100+ with 6 people.  Francis Fleet out of Point Judith has party boat squid trips May 5th through June 10th for $45.  It is hit or miss and last year was pretty poor from all the reports I read. 

https://www.fat2nawillysfishingcharters.com/packages/

https://m.facebook.com/Fishbonecapecod/
Quote:Any one know of any charter captains who want to squid fish?
I don't know where you'd like to fish, but Capt Willie Hatch out of Falmouth, MA does squid charters and he is VERY good  at it. His boat is Machaca although I may have misspelled it. He is often booked up during the spring squid run so it would be good to contact him before the season gets underway.
Quote:I don't know where you'd like to fish, but Capt Willie Hatch out of Falmouth, MA does squid charters and he is VERY good  at it. His boat is Machaca although I may have misspelled it. He is often booked up during the spring squid run so it would be good to contact him before the season gets underway.
Below is the link for Cape Cod Sportfishing Charters with Willie Hatch.  We've looked at charters before but the problem for us has always been that it is too expensive for those who would tag along with us.  That said, if anyone needs to add two more to fill a charter, just PM me.

http://machacacharters.com/index.htm
Quote:Below is the link for Cape Cod Sportfishing Charters with Willie Hatch.  We've looked at charters before but the problem for us has always been that it is too expensive for those who would tag along with us.  That said, if anyone needs to add two more to fill a charter, just PM me.

http://machacacharters.com/index.htm
Count me in as well if you need to add one to fill a charter... i don't have enough friends that fish that are willing to spend $100+ 

I do do Frances several times during the summer... they're pretty good for fluke... also a couple of times for cod in the fall... 
Any squid showing up yet in Newport? Has anyone tried yet?
Just left GI bridge. Caught 3 in two hours starting at 9:30PM.
My squid senses are tingling.  Get your jigs wet this weekend, I guarantee you will struck oil. 

Warning!! Whoever wears white shirt will catch the most. >= )  

Quote:My squid senses are tingling.  Get your jigs wet this weekend, I guarantee you will struck oil. 

Warning!! Whoever wears white shirt will catch the most. >= )  

Figures....

FRI   SW winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 3 to 5 ft. A chance of showers.  

FRI NIGHT  SW winds 15 to 20 kt. Seas 4 to 6 ft. A chance of  showers.  

SAT   W winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 3 to  5 ft.  

SAT NIGHT   W winds 10 to 15 kt with gusts up to 20 kt. Seas  3 to 5 ft.
Getting reports out of southern RI.  Not heavy but early arrivals.

Quote:Getting reports out of southern RI.  Not heavy but early arrivals.

The frances fleet has its first trip this coming saturday.   looks like it will be a sporty evening, even on a head boat.
Ive been getting good squid since monday night, got a half bucket in just 1 hour. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rhode Island 2023 JonnyFishOn 86 16,337 06-11-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  2022 Rhode Island Squidding Intel J'aimeSquid 41 12,920 27-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: tropics
  2021 Rhode Island Squidding Reel Time 37 8,838 11-11-2021, 12:24 AM
Last Post: alaskanaturally