Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Rhode Island Squid Report
 Funny Hobo, I just orderd some more Yamashita Naorys from them, $6.52 each, a lot better than 12-14 bucks apiece in RI. The Begix are a little light, that is they sink very slowly, which sometimes is a good thing. I have added a little lead tape to the weighted keel to make some of mine sink a little faster, I use a little epoxy to hold the extra lead on, it doesn't take much, a gram or two. The Wakames work fine as they come from the box. If I were you I'd get a few of the Naorys too, size 1.8 or "basic" 5.5 grams on Waveinn. They still have the clear/white and orange ones left in the original Naory Range Hunter series. They have been a #1 squid killer for a few years now and are no longer available here in the US. I will use the cheaper ones when squid are on the bottom and I risk losing the jigs to the bottom, Naorys most other times. The Naory RH series is also very good but a buck or two more at Waveinn, again size 1.8 "basic" 5.5 grams. When the squid are on the surface the Begix can be a real killer as they come from the box.

Anyone feel free to answer, but, Gilligan, I think I recall that you go out mostly from a kayak, right? My wife tried to convince me to buy one of the Job Lot plastic ones and I was tempted with the idea of being able to take it out for squid. I figured the cheap kayak wouldn't be an issue for the in-shore area, as I wouldn't be paddling far and it would be in a semi-sheltered area.  What kind of set up is needed to target squid from a kayak?

Hi Bill, sorry, but I am mostly a dock and pier squidder, occasionally in harbors in a tin boat, but I have not fished squid from a kayak. I have fished stripers from an inflatable kayak in the Hudson river, pretty low tech, just paddling and casting or occasionally trolling. I think you should be OK in inshore protected water, but I know there are kayak squidders on this forum, hopefully some will chime in to help you.

Best, G

Hey. I'm new to squid fishing. Have not tried yet. My boat is near Newport RI. I've heard the Newport area is good? if so, where are some good general spots? how deep? no current or some? when does it normally get good to fish there? May 1st? i should have my boat in the water by end of April.

Thanks.

Quote:Anyone feel free to answer, but, Gilligan, I think I recall that you go out mostly from a kayak, right? My wife tried to convince me to buy one of the Job Lot plastic ones and I was tempted with the idea of being able to take it out for squid. I figured the cheap kayak wouldn't be an issue for the in-shore area, as I wouldn't be paddling far and it would be in a semi-sheltered area.  What kind of set up is needed to target squid from a kayak?
Try asking on Ocean State Kayak Fishing website. Request addition to the closed facebook group via oceanstatekayakfishing.com

Good Luck, if you've never caught fish from a kayak be sure you don't but something to small or else you will be upgrading sooner than later. OSKF is hosting an Expo May 7, 2017 partnering with Kayak Center of Rhode Island Demo days. I suggest you get out on the water and demo a few kayaks before purchasing.
Quote:Hey. I'm new to squid fishing. Have not tried yet. My boat is near Newport RI. I've heard the Newport area is good? if so, where are some good general spots? how deep? no current or some? when does it normally get good to fish there? May 1st? i should have my boat in the water by end of April.

Thanks.

I've never squid fished off a boat. However, I have been told that you just go putter around the Harbor(s) until you find them on your fishfinder. The squid are pretty much all over Narragansett Bay, so you should be able to find them almost anywhere. I see a lot of boats along the Newport Bridge at anchor, with lights on squid jigging. Just whatever you do, please, please, (please) do not take your boat over near the GI causeway. A boat can find squid anywhere. People tied to the shore can only fish from a few select spots. I've seen boats drop anchor and jig within drop distance from the causeway, screwing with those fishing from the bridge (including me). They went so far as to drift in right underneath the bridge with a long anchor rope and then haul in the rope to draw the squid away from the bridge. People started chucking sinkers at them. Don't be THAT guy!
Quote: 

I've never squid fished off a boat. However, I have been told that you just go putter around the Harbor(s) until you find them on your fishfinder. The squid are pretty much all over Narragansett Bay, so you should be able to find them almost anywhere. I see a lot of boats along the Newport Bridge at anchor, with lights on squid jigging. Just whatever you do, please, please, (please) do not take your boat over near the GI causeway. A boat can find squid anywhere. People tied to the shore can only fish from a few select spots. I've seen boats drop anchor and jig within drop distance from the causeway, screwing with those fishing from the bridge (including me). They went so far as to drift in right underneath the bridge with a long anchor rope and then haul in the rope to draw the squid away from the bridge. People started chucking sinkers at them. Don't be THAT guy!

i'll plan on staying far away from GI causeway Smile when do you find that the squid fishing normally is pretty good from the causeway? as for the fish finder, do the squid normally run in big schools? like is it going to look like a giant bait ball? can you see them from looking into the water with a flash light normally or are they normally more near the bottom? Thanks for the help!
Quote: 

i'll plan on staying far away from GI causeway Smile when do you find that the squid fishing normally is pretty good from the causeway? as for the fish finder, do the squid normally run in big schools? like is it going to look like a giant bait ball? can you see them from looking into the water with a flash light normally or are they normally more near the bottom? Thanks for the help!

I've only jigged from Fort Adams, Goat Island and on the Navy Base. Generally, I find that the best time tends to be from the week before to the week after the full moon. Sometimes, they come in in April. Sometimes they aren't in until early June. If the water is too cold, it's sometimes still worth going out. You might find some squid, but even if you don't, you might find some sea herring, which are great smoked or fried. Just make sure to pick up a sabiki rig or two, just in case. When they come in, they move in pods of 10s, 100s, or even 1000s. Most will say that they only feed when they are stuck to the bottom. For whatever reason, they will sometimes move to the surface and you will see hundreds of them in the lights but they will refuse to hit a jig at that point. I haven't had luck with this, but I have read that a small (1.5 size) slow sinking jig in white will still get hits when they're on the surface. As far as what they look like, I've never seen them on a finder. That's just what I've heard. It seems that every fish finder I have used has been poorly installed, because they cut out at 3 knots and trigger a fish detection on clutter. One day, I'll get a nice boat and a good finder and mount, tune, and adjust it properly and learn how to use it properly. But today is not that day.
They look like big haystacks just off the bottom.    Some 10 ft tall and higher.

I have a 30'well outfitted boat and still prefer squidding from shore. In 20 years of squid fishing ive found that the squid dont show up in RI until the water reaches atleast 50°.Last year it wasn't until may that i started getting worth while catches.
Keep posting everyone. We'll be making a couple trips up there this year. And everyone should listen to Gilligan. He gave us a lot of good advice which led to success on our first squiding adventure.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
I was down in Newport  (G.I.) this afternoon around 5pm. Dunked my squid jig for about an hour and a half. The only signs of life was a lonely jelly fishing swimming past my squid jig. 

Hi, had anyone squid fishing at Fort Trumble in CT before? Im from Mass and would love to go Squid fishing.
I don't know if I would believe it, since he has posted questionable information before, but Dave Henault (Ocean State Tackle) posted a YouTube video of some fish finder sweeps of what he said were piles of squid in Newport. They were really short and just looked like random bait and he did not catch any or show any pulled up from the depths. Still, it won't be long now...

Hey BillG... i was down there i can only say what i experienced down there. Maybe i wasn't down there long enough or the timing was just off. I'm new to this forum but not new to squid fishing. You're right it won't be long.. I hope you have a Great Season!

Sorry, George. That wasn't directed at you. I just saw the youtube video last night. Water temp is still in the low 40s, but it might be worth wetting a line soon.
you will mark them like green or blue fuzz. you should be able to find a few boats working the area for them to make it easier until you get used to your machine marking them.

Friends have reported seeing their first squid in the water out on the cape.

Only one but just might be the first scouts sniffing around.

The cheery blossoms are opening up according to a friend of mine that lives in Newport. I have noticed there is a correlation to them opening and the arrival of the pods of squid.  Looking forward to a good season, it is working out for me to put in some time down there.  Also considering getting Waterproof underwater 12V LED light. Anyone try using them instead of Coleman Lantern?  I like the Old school lamps hissing away, but too many times falling asleep jigging,  I have lost rigs to line melt,.

NO blossoms on my cherry tree yet but soon.i usually start getting squid once the water reaches 49-50 degrees.i do real well with a stand with double halogen work lights running off my generator or the electrical box on the pier but you'll need the adapter for that.it shouldn't be long now maybe 7-10 days we should start seeing them moving onshore I hope

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rhode Island 2023 JonnyFishOn 86 16,940 06-11-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  2022 Rhode Island Squidding Intel J'aimeSquid 41 12,979 27-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: tropics
  2018 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 147 44,047 30-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SquidFox