Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Rhode Island Squid Report
Happy New Year! Spring time will be upon us soon enough. 

YES!!!!    

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
Happy new year everyone !!

Happy New Year everyone. Last year was my first year squiding, and I had a blast!!! I made 4 trips to the Goat Island Bridge from CT and got squid all but one time. The first trip I only got one, but was psyched enough to carry me through the season. The next trip I got about 20 and the last trip I got 5. I only got skunked once. My wife and I made friends with a few of the regulars, who were all very friendly. I can't wait for May to go back!
Quote:Happy New Year everyone. Last year was my first year squiding, and I had a blast!!! I made 4 trips to the Goat Island Bridge from CT and got squid all but one time. The first trip I only got one, but was psyched enough to carry me through the season. The next trip I got about 20 and the last trip I got 5. I only got skunked once. My wife and I made friends with a few of the regulars, who were all very friendly. I can't wait for May to go back!
Wow.Thats kinda of a long drive from CT. There should be some spots closer to you? How much did you get? Some times are better than others. I'll see you in the spring down in Goat island!
Yeah, it's a little over an hour drive for me George, plus the toll. I'm less than a half hour from Stonington and Mystic, but have not heard of a successful place to go there... Looking forward to seeing you on the bridge!
Any place with street lights should be good. If you have a kayak or a boat, you could make your own place. You will have to figure out timing of the early runs. Some years, they show up on the Vineyard and then Newport a week later. Other years, it's the reverse. For whatever it's worth, if there are fluke and scup and stripers and blues around, I would expect there are squid around. Around Newport, they usually show up a couple weeks to a month before the blues show up and bust the big pods apart.

Hobodave, In Stonington simply go down to the commercial docks when the squid are in. You will find others there fishing for them. Also they can be caught in Galilee, RI at the docks there. No need to go all the way to Newport when the run is on.

Its all about water temp.55° has been consistently the temp squid have shown up at during the spring run.
Wow, thanks Gilligan! I remember your name and reading your posts last year but I was not a member. I will definitely try Stonington and Gallilee this year. Will still have to make the trip to Newport at least once though when they are running because my wife goes with me and will want a drink in the "big city". Haha
Quote:Yeah, it's a little over an hour drive for me George, plus the toll. I'm less than a half hour from Stonington and Mystic, but have not heard of a successful place to go there... Looking forward to seeing you on the bridge!
Hey HoboDave45! I drive about hour to get to Newport from Massaschusetts . It's hard to find a timely report of when they are biting. I squid fished the Salem Willows, Boston Harbor and Various Cape Locations. I always get the story " You should have been here last night...Blah blah blah".. I guess that's why they call it fishing not catching. I hope to see you down in GI !
Quote:Hey HoboDave45! I drive about hour to get to Newport from Massaschusetts . It's hard to find a timely report of when they are biting. I squid fished the Salem Willows, Boston Harbor and Various Cape Locations. I always get the story " You should have been here last night...Blah blah blah".. I guess that's why they call it fishing not catching. I hope to see you down in GI !

That's a tough one. I usually post my reports on location while squidding, if it's slow. Sometimes, I will drive by, park and walk the causeway and see empty buckets. However, if they are biting and I'm there, I probably don't post until I leave. I usually do it while waiting at the red light by the dinner train station, but that's still after I was there. But then, it's really like trying to play the stock market. We know they will be in and running sometime between mid-April and mid-June. We know they will probably be the best (IMHO) from a week after the full moon to a week before the full moon. And we know that some nights will be one (or more) squid on every drop and other nights (sometimes the next night) will be lockjaw (do squid have jaws?) and other nights will be in between and other nights will be barren. So your options are, go every night or just go and have fun and hope for the best with the knowledge that you can always buy your squid at the bait store or the fish market the next morning.
Well put Bill, good advice! I remember your posts from last year as well... Considering a $20 or $30 12 volt LED light but not sure it will make that much of a difference... From what I saw last year, there seemed to be plenty of big lights and people willing to share them. It looked as though more squid were being caught on the outskirts of the light; in the shadows.
Hobo, I have been squidding for over forty years, do very well at it, and have never owned a light. Most dock areas have plenty of lights and I catch heaps of them without any more light brought by me or others. You will not need a light at Stonington or Gallilee docks. You are quite astute to see that often many squid are caught at the edges of the shadows rather than right under a bright light in the water.  I have caught many in pitch dark conditions with no lights around, if they are there and hungry they will bite. I do prefer a lit dock though, but dislike the green tubes people put in the water, never have done well around those green things, although others may like them. I'd invest in a wider jig collection rather than a light.

Haha, thanks for the info Gilligan, because I was going to get a green waterproof one that I could lower into the water!

I have been looking at jigs and will heed your advice and scratch the light, Are the name brand jigs really that much better than the two dollar knockoff jobs??? A huge assortment is the price of one name brand. I borrowed and tried one of the baited ones last year and got skunked. From what I have read, I need to build up my jig collection to as many colors as I can and then keep trying different ones until I find what they are hitting at that particular time,,,
Quote: 

That's a tough one. I usually post my reports on location while squidding, if it's slow. Sometimes, I will drive by, park and walk the causeway and see empty buckets. However, if they are biting and I'm there, I probably don't post until I leave. I usually do it while waiting at the red light by the dinner train station, but that's still after I was there. But then, it's really like trying to play the stock market. We know they will be in and running sometime between mid-April and mid-June. We know they will probably be the best (IMHO) from a week after the full moon to a week before the full moon. And we know that some nights will be one (or more) squid on every drop and other nights (sometimes the next night) will be lockjaw (do squid have jaws?) and other nights will be in between and other nights will be barren. So your options are, go every night or just go and have fun and hope for the best with the knowledge that you can always buy your squid at the bait store or the fish market the next morning.
Well said.. Its just a little anecdote. Everything you said is true BillG and i agree. That's why it's called fishing and not catching! Hope Everyone has a fun productive season. Stay Healthy everyone!
Quote:Haha, thanks for the info Gilligan, because I was going to get a green waterproof one that I could lower into the water!

I have been looking at jigs and will heed your advice and scratch the light, Are the name brand jigs really that much better than the two dollar knockoff jobs??? A huge assortment is the price of one name brand. I borrowed and tried one of the baited ones last year and got skunked. From what I have read, I need to build up my jig collection to as many colors as I can and then keep trying different ones until I find what they are hitting at that particular time,,,
Hobodave45, i've done well with cheap "japanese style jigs" to using yamashita and yo-zuri . I haven't had any luck with the walmart torpedo style jigs. I think how heavy the line and rod sensitivity can make a difference as well as the way the jig is presented on the line. 
 Hobo, sadly the more expensive jigs do work best, the high hooks or sharpies all use them. I lean towards the Yamashita Range hunters or the older Yamashita Naory RH jigs in size 1.8B. White, pink, orange being my favorite colors. These may cost over 12 bucks each but they WORK. If you check out my thread "Merry Christmas to all squidders" there is a link to a european site that sells some of the Yamashita Naorys for under 7 bucks each, and they have some great deals on Storm Begix, Titan Wakame and Shimano jigs as well. The Wakame and Storm jigs are less than three bucks each and are better than many other jigs out there other than the top Yamashita or YoZuris. I have ordered from them many times and never have any problems and you can pay with paypal. Best jig selection I have ever seen. Colman's Squid Jig Warehouse (google him) also sells a lot of great jigs, he is in WA state. Remember to order those about 3" or less if ordering the "prawn" style jigs, the larger jigs just don't work as well. Also to be really proficient you need a light sensitive rod and use four or six pound test mono. The light line gives the jigs better action. I use a rod about 5' long, graphite for sensitivity, with a light action, made for light line, I use four pound flourocarbon.  If ordering the Wakami jigs get the size 60 and 1.8 for the Storm Begix. If ordering from WaveInn allow three weeks or so for delivery unless you choose express mail. I hope this helps.

Thanks George and Gilligan! I "cheap out" when I can, but have no problem spending the extra money on better equipment as long as it may / could / should improve my catch. The older I get, the more precious my time gets and if something is available to me that can better my odds, I will try it. I may only get to go 5 or 6 times do want the best chances when I am able to hit the docks!

Thank you very much Giiligan for taking the time to document the jig sizes and colors, line weights, and rod types. I will research and get some so I can start right out with some of your recommendations and proven gear! On one of my trips last year, I used a little Ugly Stick ice jigging rod for panfish light action with 4 lb flouro. I will probably go back to a traditional 5 foot ultralight rod though.

Have a good night guys!
Update: Gilligan, I ordered a dozen Storm Begix and Wakame jigs from WaveInn in your preferred sizes and colors! They will be in by the end of the month.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rhode Island 2023 JonnyFishOn 86 16,334 06-11-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  2022 Rhode Island Squidding Intel J'aimeSquid 41 12,919 27-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: tropics
  2018 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 147 42,841 30-04-2022, 12:04 AM
Last Post: SquidFox