Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Ri 2015 Squid Season
I just checked the water temp. in Nantucket Sound and it is 44.6.  Does anybody know where is the squid migrate from?

Checked Bristol again very late last night.nothing around.need some warmer days.it was actually spitting snow early this morning.gotta love new England weather
Quote:I just checked the water temp. in Nantucket Sound and it is 44.6.  Does anybody know where is the squid migrate from?

You can draw an idea from these charts (these are for ilex squid):

[Image: F2.large.jpg]

Quote:I just checked the water temp. in Nantucket Sound and it is 44.6.  Does anybody know where is the squid migrate from?

They move in from the continental shelf. I always believed that temperature was important, however, research shows that they feed and breed all year round. Like most animals, they follow the food and their reproductive drive. The water temp. contributes to the increase, at all levels, of the food chain inshore. The squid follow the food. They also follow their reproductive drive, which is linked to the moon. Based on temp. and moon, it may be a couple more weeks. Or the run could start tonight. The only was to know is to get out there. I will probably wait until Mother's Day weekend before going out, unless I see reports of people catching fluke on the ocean front.
It's almost time to enjoy the calamari causeway.   Rechargeable work light peoples nice and quiet.  Home depot sell the husky brand 25 watt led work light for 60 bucks online.  I did real good last year using the portable light.   

This year I am going to "go pro" the action on video.  Early in the season I like to squid during the day time.    

Once again out trying Bristol harbor.nothing but cold here.been at it almost an hour.time to pack it in.anyone at gi or sakonnet tonight
Thank you BillG, I planned to go out next Saturday, hopefully they're in.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:942]

Here is some really nice and super thin flourocarbon line.  I like it better than the Trilene I posted earlier. I always use four pound line and fish the smaller jigs like the Naory RH in 1.5B and 1.8B, or the small Martinettis, and  they have a better action on the thin stuff and this new flourocarbon is virtually invisible in the waster.

I'm not a moderator and I don't play one on TV. But I do subscribe to this Newport topic which means I get an email when someone posts. It's frustrating when I go to check it out, excited that someone has a squidding report and it's about fishing line or a favorite jig. Shouldn't things like that be in a topic of their own? I hope I'm not off base here.
Quote:I'm not a moderator and I don't play one on TV. But I do subscribe to this Newport topic which means I get an email when someone posts. It's frustrating when I go to check it out, excited that someone has a squidding report and it's about fishing line or a favorite jig. Shouldn't things like that be in a topic of their own? I hope I'm not off base here.
So sorry to ruffle your feathers CLP. Some people here have asked about jigs and line, one asked me about the flourocarbon fishing line specifically, not everybody knows how invisible it is or that it exists. I answered. Same about jigs. Don't get to antsy, we all are waiting for the squids and I am sure when they arrive it will be pretty much all you'll read here. I'll be checking out your neiighborhood May 1&2, maybe they'll be in by then. Tight lines!!
I appreciate all the tips and techniques. I'm always trying to improve my technique, and even though it's in a location thread it is very topical.

Our schools are very different from the west coast methods, so location and technique are certainly linked.

When I first went squiding, I used large (4") jigs and heavy line (30 pound leader). Sure, I caught when they were in thick but not so much when they were spotty. And there was always that one quiet guy who would be catching when few others could even get a few.

So now I have a way to talk to that guy while we wait for the next drop. I wouldn't have ever, in my wildest dreams, used 4# line on a 2-6# rod. Now I am.

Most of the time my main line is 130# hollow core with 100# mono, unless you look at my Greenstick which is 800# main and 400# droppers.

4# line to me is like the simple u amplified pluck of a violin at a heavy metal concert.

If it bothers you, I apologize. Maybe just unsubscribe until the middle of May?
I'm not bothered and my feathers aren't ruffled. I think this forum is great and full of many topics. Line is a topic, jigs are a topic, technique is a topic. Would love to go visit each of those whenever new posts are up and I would expect to see info on whatever topic I choose. So, just as Newport Squid Season 2015 is a topic, I'm just saying that I expect to see info on the season. But if it is what it is, then let's just call it newport squidding or better yet, just squidding then there would be no need for topics and it'll all just be one run on all inclusive topic. But that doesn't make sense, does it. ;-) I've said my peace will leave it at it is what it is, and hope I didn't offend anyone. 👍🏻
A beautiful night down the water tonight but still no sign of squid in Bristol.tried for about an hour with 2 friends with no luck.hopefully by next weekend.planning a trip to sakonnet point for Wednesday will keep everyone posted.hope to at least see a few.
A friend of mine is heading up to Newport.he told me last year they caught them better during the day on an out going tide.can anyone confirm that because I've caught them during the day but not in large numbers.
Got down to scout the Calamari Causeway..., no ink spots to report.

@coastallife....I do like the forum the way it is.  In my opinion, the off topic keeps the forum interesting.  Though it is disadvantageous for some that are only waiting for squid reports.  Regardless of the off topic, most members do report their findings.  

As a member, I am less likely to report my findings if a forum has been dead an extended period of time.  Again, that is just my opinion, and I am sure others have their own.  Hope I did not offend anyone.  

I get it. All's good. Was just voicing an opinion. No biggy. Now let's go catch em up...eventually! ;-)
No squid nor taugs at Jamestown yesterday.  It was Cold and windy.  Did not see another fishermen.

Looks like above average air temps this weekend through Thursday.hopefully something gives.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newport Ri 2016 Squid Season glen 223 75,487 08-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Matsquidman
  North Shore Squid - 2015 simpleskillz 30 8,654 03-09-2016, 12:51 AM
Last Post: battam
  10-22-2015 Green Port nycposer 0 1,793 29-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Last Post: nycposer