Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 North Shore Squid
Tried in Beverly.  Nothing yet.  No squid ink at the Willows.

I have been a few times as well searching for early pods. Nothing as of yet for me either. When I was in Beverly last week I saw a bunch of bait in the water though. There were shrimp, minnows schooling up, sea worms skimming the surface, as well as herring eating (something) under the light. It's still a little bit chilly at around ~47° so its only a matter of time until the squid are in. I'm guessing within two weeks or less. Good luck. 

I was planning on going on Sunday to check it out but seems like nothin is showing up yet.
I thought about trying there tonight myself but don't know if people is catching there. Maybe a few more weeks.

Was at the willows last night didn't see anything
How's the catch up north? I've been trying south of Boston and have zero luck. Report weren't great either. I thought this is the right time (Mother's day?) for them. Have the weather been pushing them away?

Still no squid in Bev. or Willows.

I was down in Beverly a few days ago. No squid, there were a few mack's around though. Hopefully they'll be in sometime soon.

Anyone would be so kind to shed some lights on the ETA of squid in Beverly area? Newport has been miserable and now the big predators have moved in, the run has been over officially. Looking forward to catching up in Beverly.

Thanks in advance for your feedback :-)
I was in Beverly tonight. Only got one squid in three hours. It was about 8-10 inches. After that, I shined my light in the water only some minnows and one small finger length squid showed up under it. I think they'll be showing up soon. I hope.

Thanks for the update.  I hope to hit Beverly this weekend!  It should be anytime ....

I remember last year was a lot better around this time isn't it?

Thanks for the updates, ReelSaltyAngler.

I have never fished the early squid run in Beverly as I am usually down in Newport this time...

All these years I squid fish in Beverly have been mainly towards the end of June to July time frame. Squids are usually very small during this period but abundant.

I may give a try this or next weekend.

I always fish with my wife. Feel free to stop by. Like to meet new friends though we've been going to Beverly for fishing since the old bridge was there... :-) 

Quote:Thanks for the updates, ReelSaltyAngler.

I have never fished the early squid run in Beverly as I am usually down in Newport this time...

All these years I squid fish in Beverly have been mainly towards the end of June to July time frame. Squids are usually very small during this period but abundant.

I may give a try this or next weekend.

I always fish with my wife. Feel free to stop by. Like to meet new friends though we've been going to Beverly for fishing since the old bridge was there... :-) 
Hi Angler, We're planning a trip up there from the 25th through the 29th. Seems like you have some real experience in the area. Since it's over 500 miles we would like to know what the chances are of getting into some squid during that time. We would value your opinion. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.
Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
alaskanaturally,

I say you'd have a pretty good shot towards the end of this month. No guarantee, of course, as in any fishing.

As you noted from this forum, squid run has not started yet in Beverly. Of course, this is only true for those who are willing to share information. There are fishermen who'd like to keep the information discrete to reduce competition.

I'll post to this forum if I go this weekend.

Good luck!  Smile

Quote:alaskanaturally,

I say you'd have a pretty good shot towards the end of this month. No guarantee, of course, as in any fishing.

As you noted from this forum, squid run has not started yet in Beverly. Of course, this is only true for those who are willing to share information. There are fishermen who'd like to keep the information discrete to reduce competition.

I'll post to this forum if I go this weekend.

Good luck!  Smile
Thanks for your response. Of course there's no guarantees. If there were, it wouldn't be fun.

Interesting as outdoor writers, we always thought of our mission to help other catch fish or forage and hunt successfully. So we have always been very open with info. We understand that others aren't but don't understand why. Everyone knows that just because one caught some at a particular place one day, doesn't mean they'll be there the next. So the info is very time specific. Just gives you a general idea.

In any case, thanks again and we look forward to further posts from you.

Martin and Ruta

Outdoor writing: Subsistence living, living off the grid, foraging wild plants, mushrooming, prospecting, hunting and fishing. 
I'll be heading there tomorrow afternoon at high tide. I'll let you all know whats swimming around down there.

Quote:I'll be heading there tomorrow afternoon at high tide. I'll let you all know whats swimming around down there.
Good luck. Hope you get a bucket full.
Martin and Ruta

Tried high tide today in Beverly pier with my wife. We caught 2 founders though one slipped back to the water when I drained my bucket :-(

Also jigged for mackerel, caught 1 mackerel and 1 herring, which I released. Nobody squid fishing but I heard the catch has been scattered. Pretty much as thought it would be, the run has not started.
Quote:Tried high tide today in Beverly pier with my wife. We caught 2 founders though one slipped back to the water when I drained my bucket :-(

Also jigged for mackerel, caught 1 mackerel and 1 herring, which I released. Nobody squid fishing but I heard the catch has been scattered. Pretty much as thought it would be, the run has not started.
You did OK. Two flounder and a mackerel. A few meals. Was the herring illegal in your area? Next trip will be better.
Martin and Ruta

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North Shore Massachusetts Squid 2018 ReelSaltyAngler 57 13,670 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Last Post: briscola
  Hyannis 2017 vito 41 10,504 17-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Crazyfisher
  2017 Rhode Island Squid Report George5039 343 76,886 24-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: alaskanaturally