Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puget Sound, WA (2006 season)
[quote name='Fishfinder' post='7676' date='Nov 21 2006, 06:27 PM']The water down at the waterfront in Seattle has been muddy for several weeks now,even if it clears up don't expect to get any squid down there,that area has been a total blank now for about two years.Most guys that fish there KILL thier limit and don't know how to limit thier kill.Which is another reason no squid are left down there I have been fishing the waterfront for 40 yrs now and can tell you it will not recover when people like that kill the place off.Don't let Linc's fool you thinking they are there or will be when it clears up. The squid have moved on and soon DesMoines should be doing very good because of the muddy waterfront.The squid want to spawn and are not gonna wait till it clears up.Plus what do they eat muddy river sediment?[/quote]

Personally, I get tired of hearing the same old stuff from the newspaper about squid fishing. The same information is getting regurgitated. I completely agree with you. I see people dropping their squid and leaving it on the dock, catching more than their limit (that was even posted on someone's website who frequents this forum), and taking way more than they need, trying to give it away as they leave the dock with no takers. It's time we start taking squid conservation in Puget Sound.
I would have to agree with squiggy that people are not only catching their limit but going over it several times more than what they should be catching. This is also the reason why they the owner of the bldg by Pier 69. Squidders just trash the place like it's theirs, they put the squid they catch on the floor coz thay don't have any more place to put it (their container is already full and they still keep fishing for more). I was there last year when a lot of fisherman got busted for going over their limit. they should do that more often so we are not over fishing.
Happy Squidding!!!
[quote name='calamariman' post='7679' date='Nov 22 2006, 12:50 AM']I would have to agree with squiggy that people are not only catching their limit but going over it several times more than what they should be catching. This is also the reason why they the owner of the bldg by Pier 69. Squidders just trash the place like it's theirs, they put the squid they catch on the floor coz thay don't have any more place to put it (their container is already full and they still keep fishing for more). I was there last year when a lot of fisherman got busted for going over their limit. they should do that more often so we are not over fishing.[/quote]

I totally agree!! The pier you are talking about pier 69 was a great pier I have seen people pull in 80-100 lbs of squid no joke and hide it in thier car. Three years ago I just gave up and told them this pier will be locked soon because of the trash that the Parks Dept has to clean daily.Also they have spilled so much gas filling thier generators it was a matter of time and the pier would catch on fire.They fenced it off the next week and everyone came over to pier 57 and would not read the sign that says NO GAS GENERATORS. So guess what they did? They would string about 200 feet of extension cord up the walkway and plug into the buisness hallway!!! What nerve.Since they have been re-building the Aquarium that side is now fenced off and locked for two years.They can siply unlock it this year but I think they are gonna wait till the season is over just because of these limit killers.I live closer to DesMoines but choose the Waterfront because I grew up fishing down there with my father but I guess all good things must come to an end? DesMoines is good and if you loose a jig Jimmy is always there but if you lose a jig you havent been squidding much? Also I heard you now need a parking permit,do you get them at the Harbor Master office?
Fishfinder,

Yes there is now a parking permit needed for your vehicle after 10PM but you could get it at Harbor Office for $10.00 annually. This is another reason why people don't want to go fishing there anymore why do I have to pay for parking at night when the parking lot is wide open?

calamariman
Happy Squidding!!!
Thats why I really like Redondo, you can just park on the sides of the street for free, all the way up the road. I wonder if overfishing has occured there as well? I remember a few years ago in 2003 when it was a great year, alot of guys were filling the garbage cans with limits, but I havent seen that lately.

Back in WA in a few days, just got some sweet new jigs at a shop here so hopefully they will work there
[quote name='calamariman' post='7706' date='Nov 27 2006, 07:52 PM']Fishfinder,

Yes there is now a parking permit needed for your vehicle after 10PM but you could get it at Harbor Office for $10.00 annually. This is another reason why people don't want to go fishing there anymore why do I have to pay for parking at night when the parking lot is wide open?

calamariman[/quote]

Thanks Calamariman!! I'll stop by and get a permit,maybe this ten dollar fee helps clean the lot and pier the next day sounds good to me.Have you been down there latley? are there any squid yet? DesMoines seems to be a little later than Seattle for some reason.Hopefully the limit killers won't start going there they will be the one who fish there without a permit and it will go on nightly that DesMoines will get tired of it and just lock up the lot thats what happened to all the good piers in Seattle.Have a good holiday and maybe we will meet sometime at DesMoines Jimmie knows me very well I'm the SPD officer who works the gang unit.in South Seattle..
[quote name='Fishfinder' post='7716' date='Nov 30 2006, 01:39 PM']Thanks Calamariman!! I'll stop by and get a permit,maybe this ten dollar fee helps clean the lot and pier the next day sounds good to me.Have you been down there latley? are there any squid yet? DesMoines seems to be a little later than Seattle for some reason.Hopefully the limit killers won't start going there they will be the one who fish there without a permit and it will go on nightly that DesMoines will get tired of it and just lock up the lot thats what happened to all the good piers in Seattle.Have a good holiday and maybe we will meet sometime at DesMoines Jimmie knows me very well I'm the SPD officer who works the gang unit.in South Seattle..[/quote]

Just heard yesterday that Des Moines is picking up. I had a few guys testing some new jigs that I was making up (bubble-top jigs), they came back the next day saying the squid were nailing the new jigs (so they came back for more). Said they easily got their limit +.

Jon
[url="http://www.squidjig.com"]WWW.SQUIDJIG.COM [/url] [color="red"]Seattle, Washington, USA[/color]

[color="blue"]Home of the World Famous Martinetti Squid Jigs[/color]
[quote name='squidjigdotcom' post='7722' date='Nov 30 2006, 09:56 PM']Just heard yesterday that Des Moines is picking up. I had a few guys testing some new jigs that I was making up (bubble-top jigs), they came back the next day saying the squid were nailing the new jigs (so they came back for more). Said they easily got their limit +.

Jon[/quote]

Thanks Jon I'll give it a try!!!
Greetings everyone

I lived near Redondo many years ago and used to watch the horde catching tons of squid. Would like to get my family involved in squid fishing (my wife caught her first halibut this year and now is a fishing nut).

Having read the postings it looks like Redondo has taken a nose dive. We want to go catch some this evening but wonder if it is even worth the effort. Can anyone advice us on where we should try for this evening???? Understand the tides aren't the best but still willing to give it a shot.

Advice???
[quote name='bobz' post='7729' date='Dec 2 2006, 10:03 AM']Greetings everyone

I lived near Redondo many years ago and used to watch the horde catching tons of squid. Would like to get my family involved in squid fishing (my wife caught her first halibut this year and now is a fishing nut).

Having read the postings it looks like Redondo has taken a nose dive. We want to go catch some this evening but wonder if it is even worth the effort. Can anyone advice us on where we should try for this evening???? Understand the tides aren't the best but still willing to give it a shot.

Advice???[/quote]

Edmonds pier has been productive and the Prot Orchard and Bremerton piers have been productive. I'd try those. Tides do make a noticable difference. If the fishing isn't great, try again on a good tide - it's worth it!

Steph
[url="http://www.juicyjigs.com"]www.juicyjigs.com[/url]

Juicy Jigsâ„¢ Squid Jigs, Squid Hooks, and Squid Fishing Rod!

“Get JUICED With JUICY JIGS™!”™

[Image: logo.png]
Thursday, November 30, 2006

By GREG JOHNSTON (seattlepi.com)

Quote:squid jigging is still just fair in local waters, such as the Seacrest and Terminal 86 fishing piers in Elliot Bay, and the Edmonds fishing pier.

[url="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/294133_out30.html"]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/294133_out30.html[/url]
Hey there,

I'm the person getting ready to do a magazine story on squid fishing. Does anybody have an opinion on how squid fishing might look this weekend (tonight?) at Pier 86 or elsewhere? What time are people going out about now? Also, are any of the piers besides Pier 86 handicap accessible? Thanks!
[quote name='holly' post='7760' date='Dec 10 2006, 06:02 AM']Hey there,

I'm the person getting ready to do a magazine story on squid fishing. Does anybody have an opinion on how squid fishing might look this weekend (tonight?) at Pier 86 or elsewhere? What time are people going out about now? Also, are any of the piers besides Pier 86 handicap accessible? Thanks![/quote]

I have heard that it has been pretty good lately. Many people have been doing well during the daylight hours, so it is not necessary to fish after dark. I would recommend Pier 86, or the Seacrest Pier by Alki.

Jon
[url="http://www.squidjig.com"]WWW.SQUIDJIG.COM [/url] [color="red"]Seattle, Washington, USA[/color]

[quote name='squidjigdotcom' post='7761' date='Dec 9 2006, 12:09 PM']I have heard that it has been pretty good lately. Many people have been doing well during the daylight hours, so it is not necessary to fish after dark. I would recommend Pier 86, or the Seacrest Pier by Alki.

Jon[/quote]

Redondo dock was not doing a thing last night. Plenty of lures in the water but no squid.

Mike
[quote name='i8decapods' post='7765' date='Dec 9 2006, 04:41 PM']Redondo dock was not doing a thing last night. Plenty of lures in the water but no squid.

Mike[/quote]

I went to the Seacreast pier in West Seattle Friday night and in three hours 12 squid were caught with 26 people fishing the tide was perfect as well as the weather but still blank.. Saturday 12-9-06 I went to the waterfront at pier 64 aka the concert pier.There were 6 of us and in one and a half hours we got our limit!!! I was the only one who had a light and as I saw one guy getting ready to "kill his limit" I shut off the light and left.Too bad the fisheries dept couldn't swear me in as a volunteer I would love to write tickets all night.. maybe I'll look into that?
[quote name='Fishfinder' post='7768' date='Dec 11 2006, 12:37 PM']I went to the Seacreast pier in West Seattle Friday night and in three hours 12 squid were caught with 26 people fishing the tide was perfect as well as the weather but still blank.. Saturday 12-9-06 I went to the waterfront at pier 64 aka the concert pier.There were 6 of us and in one and a half hours we got our limit!!! I was the only one who had a light and as I saw one guy getting ready to "kill his limit" I shut off the light and left.Too bad the fisheries dept couldn't swear me in as a volunteer I would love to write tickets all night.. maybe I'll look into that?[/quote]

Sounds like you did quite well!!! I've been to Redondo and Des Moines a few times, but they are still not doing consistantly well. The ones that are putting in LOTS of hours though tend to be there when a big run comes through.

I'm thinking of hitting the Seattle waterfront sometime this week. I've not fished the pier 64 before, mostly I go to Pier 69. I know they cut off a lot of the access there, but I do like the area that is still open. Pier 86 is nice at times too, unless fishing late and security trying to kick you off. I'm hoping the weather improves a bit, as dry weather is definitely my preference.

Quote:Squid-jigging has improved at the Seacrest and Terminal 86 fishing piers on Elliott Bay, plus various docks downtown. Jerry Beppu at Linc's Tackle in Seattle said his customers reported very good catches Saturday night, but slow jigging Sunday, and then fair action Tuesday night. Good reports have come from the Redondo fishing pier, but poor reports from the nearby Des Moines pier

By GREG JOHNSTON

Thursday, December 7, 2006

[url="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/294970_out07.html"]http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/294970_out07.html[/url]
There were some squid caught at Shilshole on Saturday night. Good size. Watch out for the salmon fishers though. The feeder salmon are coming in and heavy lures are flying.
[quote name='eel' post='7773' date='Dec 12 2006, 05:22 AM']There were some squid caught at Shilshole on Saturday night. Good size. Watch out for the salmon fishers though. The feeder salmon are coming in and heavy lures are flying.[/quote]

I hear we are going to have alot of wind this week so that might slow things down plus the tides on the weekend will be low in the PM. I also heard a guy bragging today that the week it snowed he and three guys caught 80 lbs of squid at DesMoines one night.Thats 50 lbs OVER THE LIMIT!!! I didn't know that goes on at DesMoines but I will call the DOF and let them know and I think I will be down there next week to watch,observe and write down some licence plate numbers as well as descriptions of these limit killers.Im sure there are more than three of them and I hope it's a good night when I go there.Ten pounds is way more than enough don't you think?
[quote name='squidjigdotcom' post='7771' date='Dec 12 2006, 12:58 AM']Sounds like you did quite well!!! I've been to Redondo and Des Moines a few times, but they are still not doing consistantly well. The ones that are putting in LOTS of hours though tend to be there when a big run comes through.

I'm thinking of hitting the Seattle waterfront sometime this week. I've not fished the pier 64 before, mostly I go to Pier 69. I know they cut off a lot of the access there, but I do like the area that is still open. Pier 86 is nice at times too, unless fishing late and security trying to kick you off. I'm hoping the weather improves a bit, as dry weather is definitely my preference.[/quote]

I agree unfortunatley I think all the wind and rain is gonna slow things down.Please read a few lines down on the guy I heard bragging about killing his limit at DesMoines Thats how they all are at pier 64 the game warden has a blast down there and they still don't learn..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Puget Sound, WA (2016 Season) glen 40 17,860 03-10-2017, 05:06 AM
Last Post: ikasashiman
  Puget Sound, WA (2015 season) glen 66 21,554 12-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Last Post: glen
  Puget Sound, WA (2014 season) glen 57 18,424 02-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Last Post: glen