Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puget Sound, WA (2016 Season)
Hi everyone,

Please post about the 2016 season for Puget Sound, WA in this thread.

Thanks and happy squidding!

Cheers, Glen

I am going to Sea crest park this afternoon, see what we got going on.

Fished from 6:30 to 7:30 and got 4 medium sized squid at SeaCrest Park.

Thanks for your report. That sounds similar to what I saw last Sunday. The season is probably winding down. It has been a fantastic squid season. It is time to find something else to do.

hopefully hitting up Edmonds this Saturday. last Saturday was slow but I usually stay out for several hours so I had a decent bucket. got new jigs to try out on em

Going to hit up edmonds sunday after the seahawks win, friday night was a blast a little slow on the bite but it was good from 7-10 after that is was sparse. tested out my new homemade jigs caught a couple. hopefully sunday night will yield more 

slow wet night sunday ended up with 9 in 6 hours so it wasn't a total loss

Got 3 and 4 good size squids last Thur and Fri at Pier 86 in 2 hours. Look like the squids are leaving.

Weather looks good today, might try again tonight.

At Pier 86 last night from 6 to 8 PM. Got 14 squids, 2 mid size while the rest are big (10 inches +). Not too bad for two hours.

i've been wanting to try pier 86 for a while good to hear theres some big ones still out there edmonds has been mostly mid sized ones, but last weekend was fun got 30 in ... a long time... 8 hours or so. finally caught 2 on one jig 

That is very much what I heard from my bro in law since he hitting Edmond a lot and he likes to stay out there long hours.

I like Pier 86, quiet, good squids, shelter from the cold, and a lot of lights on the dock.

If you never been there, then it might be a little tricky to find the dock.

Went to Pier 86 last night from 6 PM to 7:20 PM and I got 7 total. 3 big and 4 mid.

I would have stay longer but the wind start to pick up around 6:30 PM.

I thought squids would be gone since I have not seen any anglers in Pier 86 lately but I still getting squids.
As most of you know about the Salmon/steelhead closures affecting marine areas and river/lakes too. Well I just got word from a WDFW fisheries bio from Region 5 and she called in to confirm what shellfishing closures are next. And it would be All of them..... Squid, crab, crawfish, clams, ETC. Yes I said squid. This CLOSURE MAY be in effect as soon as Sunday/Monday. I wanted to give you all a heads up on whats on the table. If you need more info reguarding closures you can find them here at; http://wdfw.wa.gov/ for the latest information on closures check <a>here; https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/ </a>

Good luck to all during this hardship and let's pray that they can open what they can! 

Well... Shrimp and Crab fishing are allowing so far this year so I doubt any closure for squid. Just my opinion.

Things have been 'Resolved' so this means, no shellfish closure, areas reopening to fishing soon and a salmon season is set!!!! Any reports on squdding this year? 

I am seeing some squid on Facebook, what you guys think?

New to this forum (as well as squid fishing) and wanted to say hello! I'm normally a crab/shrimp guy with occasional salmon line to pass the time. Had a buddy give me his tackle box that included some squid jigs... Did some research and have to say I'm already hooked and can't wait for the season to start!! I live & work in Puyallup so South Sound (Point Defiance, Univ Place, maybe Des Moines) is where I'll mostly be... Anyone have any advice on good spots or what other jigs & techniques will be needed? Hope to see some of you on the water!!
Hey Farmer, if it did what it did last October and November you will not have trouble getting a few buckets of squid!  Just get out on a pier with lights and jig from 8-10ish.  Usually the top of the flood or bottom of the ebb works best.  Be sure to stick it out for a few hours, when they come in they a lot of fun!  Start reading up on how to clean them and research recipes!  You can also keep a few for bait in the spring for sand dabs and lingcod.

Went out to Pier 86 and Alki last night around 9 PM to scout the docks.

@ Pier 86: Only a father and his young boy out there for squid. He got like 1 in 30 minutes or so. However I.saw some inks on the ground from previous days so look like squids are coming in.

@ Alki: 20 or so anglers there on the dock. Not much action while I was there for 10 minutes. A few catches and they are about 6 to 7 inches.

Btw, if you play pokemon go, Pier 86 has a lot of stops. LOL

I went to Edmonds pier last night. The pier was packed with people, not squid. Some were crabbing. A few small schools of squids came by, gave us some excitements during a couple of hours I stayed there. Overall, the action looked slow. I managed to get 5 medium size squids. Perhaps, a bit too early in the season. But they are already there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Puget Sound, WA (2015 season) glen 66 21,431 12-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Last Post: glen
  Puget Sound, WA (2014 season) glen 57 18,090 02-01-2015, 04:37 PM
  Puget sound, WA (2013 season) Chromesteel 209 48,295 11-03-2014, 02:00 PM