Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puget Sound, WA (2016 Season)
About 20 angles on Pier 86 last night (Sept 8th). Squids were avg size. Most folks got 10 plus after an hours, but there are a few that got more.

Squids are definitely in. Saw a few large schools in Des Moines marina and Redondo.

Got about 9lbs Monday night.
Happy Squidding!!!
When does edmonds get good
Squid came in great last night at sea crest park around 8:15pm.  Good stuff, time to get out there y'all.

Edmonds has been very good not stellar but very good as long as ur in the right spot at the right time been there 3 times and 2 times got lots of squid probably 6lbs each time for a couple hours of fishing
Squid was amazing last night at Sea Crest park in Seattle.  Some big winter ones have moved in.

I have been scouting Seattle water front. Everywhere is packed with people! They are catching big ones. Go early to save your spot.

I haven't been squidding for 3yrs.  Decided to start up again.

10/26  10lbs

10/27 10lbs

10/28 10lbs

10/29 10lbs

10/30 2lbs (lost my jigs, forgot to clip the snap swivel) 

All caught in Seattle. I'll probably be heading out every night until it slows down.

Need to pick up some jigs.

Tight Lines..

Hit and miss at Redondo seal chasing away those schools. Still managed to come home with about 4lbs.

Incoming tides seems to be the best to jig for them squids.
Happy Squidding!!!
I was at Redondo for a while on the 1rst also.  It was jam packed, and I watched for almost an hour from about 2-3am.  I saw one or two squid caught, so I packed up my lights and gear and went home with even getting my line wet.  A few days before, at about the same time, I only caught 20 or so.  I was the last man standing that night, except for the seal .... .  Hope this morning does me better, headed out there now.  Hope to see you out there calamariman!  

made it out to redondo from 4-7 this morning, slow again.  only caught 10 squid.  The pier was less crowded, but still 75% full.  I made an attempt to dry my squid like I have had in Japan, but it turned out really bad...

Only caught 6 squid in 2 hours at redondo last night.  Slow night, but very large squid.

Fished the Seacrest pier last Sat (11/12). The pier became extremely crowded (at least by my standard) by 4:30pm. Shoulder to shoulder from the north to south end, especially on the rail facing downtown Seattle. Some people try to squeeze in until the shoulders are literally touching each other. As for squidding, small schools came by time to time, causing people move around to follow the squids and lots of line entangling because people were casting left and right completely ignoring other people's lines. I left the pier around 5:30pm with 9 squids. Mostly big ones. Did anyone stay longer?

6 1/2 pounds Monday (11/14) evening.

Brand new to doing this. I live in Port Townsend and it looks like most of you are in the Seattle area. I've found a few references on the web about squid fishing in Port Townsend. Does anyone know when might be a good time (of year and of day? night I assume). Do I need a light setup?

Thanks,

Looks like fun, and I like calimari!

Tried the A-dock in Shilshore marina near Ballard on Friday for the first time. The pier is located next to a condo. I thought that the condo would block the wind. But no, the pier was exposed to chilly southern wind the whole evening. There are several halogen(?) flood lights installed on the pier, illuminating the water surface. These seem to be a popular spot for squidders according to the guy working on the pier. Some people brought their own light. They told me that the pier was very productive in September-October. As for squidding, I got 4 medium size squids before I succumbed to the extreme cold. 

I'm so terrible at squid fishing. Everyone around me is catching them except me. How do I get some pointers?
Quote:I'm so terrible at squid fishing. Everyone around me is catching them except me. How do I get some pointers?

Depth and presentation
Fished pier 89 last night. It's been more than a couple of years since I fished there last time. A fairly large school came by just after sunset, and it was hot for 30-min. Other than that, not much was going on. I got a few pounds, and left for dinner. The size of squids there appears to be a bit smaller than the ones we catch at Seattle waterfront.

Tried the Great Wheel spot in downtown Seattle in the evening of the New Year Day. Very cold, but not raining or snowing. Saw 10-15 hard core squid fishers there. Not very crowded. Fishing was slow. I left with just one pound after ~3 hrs of effort. It is probably close to the end of season... 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Puget Sound, WA (2015 season) glen 66 21,431 12-01-2016, 11:04 PM
Last Post: glen
  Puget Sound, WA (2014 season) glen 57 18,092 02-01-2015, 04:37 PM
  Puget sound, WA (2013 season) Chromesteel 209 48,298 11-03-2014, 02:00 PM